Hens digging under fence

Terry S

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
Durham Maine
My hens have dug in their pen to the point that they are undermining the fence around their pen and a few have gotten out from under it. Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

If they can dig out, any predator can get in. Fix ASAP before your flock is wiped out. Buried wire, concrete base, or some serious dig proof combination, with hardware cloth used. Pictures would help. Mary

If they can dig out, any predator can get in. Fix ASAP before your flock is wiped out. Buried wire, concrete base, or some serious dig proof combination, with hardware cloth used. Pictures would help. Mary
Excellent point.

For the problem of the hens getting out, I would do a "reverse anti-dig skirt" - meaning run a skirting of wire under the surface of the run that extends inward 1-2 feet so that when they dig down they encounter the wire and are not able to get under the perimeter and out. To prevent predators digging in you will want to install the same skirting on the outside perimeter of the pen.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a skirt outside for predators but didn't realize those girls would find a way around that. You're right! Anything can get in those spots!

Back
Top Bottom