Hens dont roost

Okiebirds

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
My have 7 buff orpingtons that are 4 1/2 months old. My wife's uncle gave them to us about 8 days ago, after we finished our coop. The thing i dont know about is they will not use the roost at night. They plie up in one corner of the coop. They would use the nest boxes if I would let them. I have blocked off the boxes because it seemed like a bad habit to get started. Uncle has only one that uses a roost at night. The rest of his does the same thing. We were thinking they may still be a little younig. Is this normal? Will they grow to use the roots? Thanks

hello, and welcome to BYC!!!

you will learn so much about your chickens in these forums.

your chickens will learn how to roost. they are young and piling up in a corner is warm,
cozy and secure for the moment.

so much has gone on in their short lives. new home, new people, maybe new food and treats.
give them a bit of time.

and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the fast reply. Ive been looking around here for a fews weeks now and theres a ton of info.

The roosts in my coop r 22" off the floor. uncle's about the same. 3 or 4 of them will jump up there during the day, but not at night.

My baby chicks are almost two weeks old and they have been trying to roost.
Some roost for a little while, while other are just checking out their balance and trying to fly.

Not sure about your birds, I thought roosting was an natural instinct.
Is the roost accessible and inviting?

My Black Astralorps did the exact same thing for a long time. I think it was because that is what they were used to doing when they were chicks, but they eventually learned to use the roosts by themselves.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom