Hens dropping eggs from roost

One of my girls does this every morning. Like that she is so regular but hate that I have to stoop and sometimes crawl under the roosts to retrieve it.
You need to get one of those grabber things... on Amazon it's an easy reach.
11Eb13YkrJL.jpg

I have a young pullet who is also dropping her eggs of the roost. She lays, no sorry that should be : she drops one egg sometime during the night after midnight and another one before six in the morning and the second one is without a shell!. It is surely both from her as I get one egg in the nest boxes from each of the other two each day. She will then skip a day and then again two in less than 7 hours one with a shell and one without. Will she at some stage get in a better cycle?

I am in the southern hemisphere, no late sunrises here at this stage!

Last edited:
Ok, I installed a light that goes on at 5 am and shuts off when it gets light outside and the only difference is now they lay their eggs in the middle of the coop on the floor instead of dropping them from the roost. It has improved the quality of the eggs since they are not broken now. Maybe I have claustrophobic hens.

I have a young hen who seems to "accidentally" lay outside the box. She goes in the box and sits then comes out like she is done and squats about 5 feet outside the house and drops the egg and it usually has a little poop. Is something wrong with her? She seems fine and I wormed her twice! What to do?

Yeah same here, she lays every day...big gorgeous dark brown eggs. So no complaints there. It's just hard to keep them out of all the poop from that night! So I was hoping there was some sort of solution...especially since she was laying in the nest box every day for a while.
Mine are doing the same thing although not sure which one is laying from the roost. I have 5 Isa Browns and 4 nesting boxes so there is enough room????

Back
Top Bottom