hens eating their own eggs

when opa talks about the first partition being 4" back and then he moved it to 10", that's important. Our was 4'' back and with the extension, it is now seven.
My husband really figured 4"was plenty, but when you have three eggs pile up, they are visible to the hen.
I found broken egg everyday. I was thinking that they were cracking when they hit the plywood , so we put one of those foam mats that you stand on to prevent leg fatigue in it. When it is cold, it is as hard as plywood, so it might not be such a bad drop. Ours is two levels. I caught her eating eggs in both levels. Bad chicken.
sad.png

We have a difficult time keeping the eggs clean. some girl always poops first and lays an egg in the poo. If I do not get there early enough to remove the poo, all of the eggs are soiled. We were hoping the rolling egg boxes would help with that, but I hasn't.

Quote:
Although this is true and I follow the same idea, I think it will be difficult to get most folks on here to adopt this practice, I think they just like all the drama and messing with all the goofy nonsensical so-called cures. just sayin.

AL

This is a trick an old timer taught me, and it works every time.
I use this on Chickens and pheasants.

First, you have to do what all the others have suggested. Nest box height, etc.

Then you have to leave a few decoy eggs in the nest box.

The eggs you use for decoys are filled with a mixture of cyanne pepper and egg.

Take a couple of the eggs and put a small pin sized hole on each end and blow the egg contents out into a bowl.
Mix the contents (whites and yolks) like scrambled eggs.
Add about 2 TBS cyanne pepper, Mix real good.
Take a syringe. A larger size works best. No needle.
Pull plunger out, and pour mixture into syringe and install plunger.
I put a little bees wax on one of the holes on the end of the egg.
Insert the syringe in the other hole and fill egg with mix.
Plug filled end with bees wax.
Continue till this you have the desired amount of eggs.

Mark the decoys, install in the nest area where the egg eating happened.
After 3 days I have have yet to have any birds interested in eating eggs.
This is the only method that has ever worked for us.
We use about 6 eggs for a day or two. In each flock that started egg eating.

Just my.02

Quote:
I don't know this from personal experience, but from reading here on BYC and other forums I belong to, I've learned that once a chicken gets the taste of raw egg and likes it, you can't break them of it. They will always eat their own eggs once they start, and they'll eat the other chickens' eggs, too, given the chance.

I don't know what I would do in your shoes and I hope you find a way to stop it without having to cull your egg-eating hen! I've heard others say that once they start eating their eggs, the only thing those chickens are good for after that is the soup pot.

I am sorry to hear this and hope you find a way to get her to stop! There are lots of folks here with much more wisdom and experience that maybe have some ideas to help. Good luck and hang in there!
smile.png

Quote:
I am curious as to the science/physiology of how this works, since chickens are completely impervious capsaicin (the active "spicy" element in all chilis and cayenne) and can eat habanero peppers without n'ary an issue.

I'm glad you found a method! I'll keep this thread in mind, should any of my girls (God forbid!!) ever start eating their own eggs!

Quote:
I am curious as to the science/physiology of how this works, since chickens are completely impervious capsaicin (the active "spicy" element in all chilis and cayenne) and can eat habanero peppers without n'ary an issue.

I'm glad you found a method! I'll keep this thread in mind, should any of my girls (God forbid!!) ever start eating their own eggs!

I don't know the science behind it and personally I don't care.
All I know is that it works.
Sometimes the old timers know what works without much needed debate.
All you can do is try it and see if it works. It will not hurt the birds. Maybe even boost their vitamins.
Then let us know of the results.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom