Hens egg laying behaviors

Tscott91108

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Do hens typically lay an egg the same time everyday? I have a hen who just started laying within the last week and it seems as tho she lays in the late afternoon. My other hens lay early morning to mid morning.

Do hens typically lay an egg the same time everyday? I have a hen who just started laying within the last week and it seems as tho she lays in the late afternoon. My other hens lay early morning to mid morning.

Hens lay every 26-28 hours, so each day they will lay a little bit later. Since they never lay at night, however, when it gets late enough in the day, they will skip that day, and lay it tomorrow morning. When they first start laying, it it usually in the afternoon.

Hens lay every 26-28 hours, so each day they will lay a little bit later. Since they never lay at night, however, when it gets late enough in the day, they will skip that day, and lay it tomorrow morning. When they first start laying, it it usually in the afternoon.
Oh thank you!!!

New layers often don't have a tight schedule and can lay any time of day or night and anywhere.

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to form, a new ova is released shortly after an egg is laid.

A new egg could be laid approximately every 25-26 hours, so an hour or so later every day until one is laid late in the day and another ova might not be released until the following day, so a day off. BUT..very hen is different and only time will tell what a particular hen/pullets schedule might be. Not every hen/pullet lays every day..some only lay a few a week.

We have 4 Buff Orpingtons that are now 6 months old. One has been laying pretty much daily for a month. I noticed several days ago that another nest box had been worked over. This morning, a lot of egg songs and I found a bird on that nest box with another standing by watching her. She has been up and down from the nest over the last hour or so with no egg. Now all 4 birds are in the coop and two birds are on nests. Does this sound like pretty normal behavior for first-time layers? I read about hens getting egg bound and now I'm paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom