Hen's eggs are soft at one end

HenTea

Chirping
Apr 9, 2022
Hope for some advice. We have 9 hens all but one lay us nice eggs. The one red hen lays eggs that are light and hard on the bottom and dark and soft on the top. We just dont understand why part of the egg would be soft and the rest hard.

Attachments

• 20220425_164801.jpg
    20220425_164801.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 7
Has she always done this? And how old?
She just turned one, no she did not always do it. She started about 2 months ago. We are not sure which red it is. We have 2, but have narrowed it down to a red chicken. ( Hard to tell them apart) I did look into getting oyster shells, but the local place cant get them in and Amazon wont ship them to us either. FYI as of right now we do not have a rooster. Not sure if that means anything.

If you dont mind providing a general location we may be able to track down a source for you.
You can always try a human grade calcium carbonate tablet first to see if that fixes the issue before goung out of your way to track down oystershell.

What do you offer as far as calcium if oyster isn't available? Eggshells, limestone? Are they on layer feed?
We have them on high calcium layer feed. I say high because we that is what the CO OP said it was. We do give them the odd egg shell back. We are not big on this because one of the hens likes to eat the eggs.

If you dont mind providing a general location we may be able to track down a source for you.
You can always try a human grade calcium carbonate tablet first to see if that fixes the issue before goung out of your way to track down oystershell.
I am in Vanderhoof, British Columbia, Canada. The local place said they had something else. ( Cant remember what) But it was 80 bucks for a 20k bag. More than we would ever use or can pay right now. Our CO OP had nothing for calcium

Try 1/2 a plain tums crushed up in a treat for both red hens. Try for a few days, if no improvemenet then the hen probably damaged her oviduct somehow or just something that needs to work itself out.

Back
Top Bottom