Hens Eyes Sealed Up -UPDATE: PICTURES-

Sadly- if she doesn't lay eggs, and your quote (you have had nothing but problems out of this hen), and yes - it is some disease, culling would be the quick option if this is not a beloved pet. For her to be a chronic non layer, and now has a chronic eye problem- she is not a good long term prospect for a productive life. If she is a pet- then treating is worth a try. She may have a bacterial or viral infection, possibly fungal, but probably contagious. Your options are 1) cull 2) Separate her out with some good supportive care- warmth, protection, extra calories and protein, eye cleaning/compresses, antibiotic eye meds- OTC 3) take her to a vet and get her worked up. Her lack of egglaying and chronic infection are likely related.

Quote:

Those pictures to me look like it is Fowl Pox..... If so then I would treat the area around the eye and the lobs with Iodine and the eye itself with some sort of eye ointment. Just use a q-tip and swap the scabs with the Iodine. I would seperate her if she is the only one like this, just in cause it is something else though. I had fowl pox run through my flock of cochins and the Iodine took care of it.

I hope she gets better soon.

ETA: I do not think it has anything to do with any sort of "bite", JMHO....

Last edited:
Quote:
How do they get fowl pox?

Holy poop.....was I suppose to know the answer to that question
hide.gif
....Hold on let me see if I can find the answer.....

Ok....here is some info I found:

Fowl Pox, also known as Avian Pox, is a mild to severe, slow developing disease of birds caused by an avipoxvirus and three common strains have been identified. The three strains are fowl pox virus, pigeon pox virus and canary pox virus. The strains vary in their virulence and have the ability to infect other avian species. However, many of the strains are group specific. Approximately sixty species of birds from 20 families have been diagnosed with avian pox. The strain seen in wild turkeys is the fowl pox virus. Avian pox lesions (wart-like growths) occur on the unfeathered parts of the bird's body and, in some cases, the mouth, larynx, and/or trachea.

Distribution
Avian pox has been observed in a variety of avian hosts worldwide. The disease is most common in the temperate (warm and humid) parts of the world and is usually observed in relation to seasonal mosquito cycles. Avian pox has been diagnosed in upland game birds, songbirds (mourning doves and finches), marine birds, pet birds (canaries and parrots),[chickens, turkeys, occasionally raptors and rarely in waterfowl. It is a viral disease and most all North American cases have been recent.

Clinical Signs
There are two forms of fowl pox.These two forms are either cutaneous (dry) or diphtheritic (wet). In the cutaneous form (dry pox) clinical signs include the development of proliferative lesions, ranging from small nodules to spherical wart-like masses on the skin of the comb, wattle and other unfeathered areas. It is the most commonly observed and is a self-limiting infection with the lesions regressing and forming scars. In the diphtheritic form (wet pox), clinical signs include slightly elevated white opaque nodules develop on the mucous membranes of the mouth and trachea. They rapidly increase in size to become a yellowish diphtheritic membrane. A diphtheritic membrane forms and may restrict air intake and result in labored breathing and possible suffocation.

Pathology
Lesions will occur on the mucous membranes of the mouth, esophagus, larynx, and trachea.

Diagnosis
Raised whitish colored bumps on comb, wattles, face, and eyelids that turn yellow, and eventually scab over before healing up.

Treatment and Control
Isolate infected birds, but there is no treatment except removing scabs around the mouth, and eyes, so the birds can see to eat. You have to just let this run its course.
If you have wet pox, you may need to clean any kind of discharge that interferes with breathing.
To prevent secondary infections, treat with Terramycin, and Vitamin Supplements.

Quote:
Mosquitoes probably pick up the micro-organsims that cause it from affected birds, and pass it on to the other birds once bitten by the mosquito.

By neighbors do you mean chicken neighbors to the flock that the hen is affected (if that makes any sense)

Edited because my typing isn't so good

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, if the neighbors 2 doors down have chickens that have fowl pox and the mosquitos bite there chickens and then they fly to your house and bite your chickens..... and then fly somewhere else and bite somebody's else's chickens....and so on. That is how it is spread.

Back
Top Bottom