Hens Eyes Sealed Up -UPDATE: PICTURES-

Quote:
Mosquitoes probably pick up the micro-organsims that cause it from affected birds, and pass it on to the other birds once bitten by the mosquito.

By neighborsdo you mean chicken neighbors to the flock that the hen is affected (if that makes any sense)

Neighbors meaning the people who live 2 doors down have chickens.

Quote:
Mosquitoes probably pick up the micro-organsims that cause it from affected birds, and pass it on to the other birds once bitten by the mosquito.

By neighborsdo you mean chicken neighbors to the flock that the hen is affected (if that makes any sense)

Neighbors meaning the people who live 2 doors down have chickens.

Ok, do you know if they have had any sick birds recently?

This is what typical fowl pox looks like.

16662_turkeybumps_005.jpg

Never have had it or seen it effect eyes such as that of your hen. It is generally just dark wart like lesions like in the picture. What breed is she?

The reason I mentioned fowl pox was because it did affect my cochins the way it has Sarahfairs. Not all of my birds had it quiet as bad as other's, but there were a few that had the swollen eye's.

Quote:
I dont know if they have sick birds. Ive never talked them. Just hear their rooster crow..

She is a cochin. Shes really never been right. Always ran kinda funny. Just thought it was the breed
idunno.gif

She doesnt have any dark patches like that.. Just super dry skin.
Think it could be conjuntivitis?

The dry form typically affects the skin and the wet form affects the moist areas of the fowl (mouth, eyes, nostrils). I don't see anything on the nostrils, but it doesn't mean she doesn't have it. You could look inside her mouth for more signs. The wet form is more deadly as it affects the respiratory tract and their ability to eat. I know I've read iodine works for the skin parts, but not sure there is much you can do for those eyes except keep them clean and open. Upon first look at the pics, I thought wet pox. Just my first impression though. I've never seen anything like it, so can't be sure.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TvIsAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=eye+worms+in+chickens&source=bl&ots=3jYOo5eOUM&sig=hxTeXHjQCrYpOgbLwoCoTY31kgQ&hl=en&ei=vwb7Sv6yH9T4nAeYytnzDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CCIQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=eye%20worms%20in%20chickens&f=false

Copy
and paste this into your browser. This is a link to a booklet on Manson's Eye Worm. From the pictures and the symptoms they give and from what you have said, this is the closest that I have found. Scroll down to page 7 for the symptoms.

I dont have any kind of medication. Ive never had problems before..
idunno.gif

Ive got rubbing alcohol and peroxide..
hu.gif

It wont be till this weekend that I can get to the store..
I put drops in hey eyes yesterday.
She seems more purky today.

Back
Top Bottom