Hens fighting when going in at night

jp57

Chirping
May 1, 2017
Townsend, DE
I have been noticing lately that when waiting for my girls to get into the coop at night, that they are fighting a lot. I don't know if this is normal or not. I've noticed some of them going in, and then sitting at the door and pecking at anyone trying to come in. There is a roosting bar near the door. I have noticed some girls will get lined up with the door, then walk sideways to make sure the others can't get in while getting pecked at. Overall I have found myself picking them up and placing them in there or shoving them away from the door so others can get in. I have two, 6 weeks chicks, that I would like to start introducing to them, but I am worried about their safety. During the day, they free range and don't fight at all. It seems every night now, I go out at the time they should be in to close the coop, and have to stand there for 5-10 minutes for them to get inside.

Is there any way you can install another door in your coop? I had the exact same problem years ago when I got my second batch of chicks. One of the older ones was stationing herself at the door to pick off younger pullets.

I cut a second door into the coop at the far end and the pullets quickly figured out the bully couldn't be at two places at once.

Integrating small chicks into an adult flock requires some safety measures to keep the chicks safe. I use the panic room method of integration described here in my article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

A safe pen with chick-size openings acts as a safe haven and helps safely introduce new chicks to a flock to minimize risk. Also, if you can increase the space in your run, integration is much easier as youngsters will have more space to evade bullies.

Back
Top Bottom