Hens Finally Laying-First Eggs Tonight :)

NorthernMIFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jun 25, 2018
Northern MI
IMG_2970.JPG
We are thrilled! They are 20 weeks and my 9 y/o son found them tonight while we were locking up the coop. Question is-one of the Buff Orpington girls was in one of the nest boxes (not where we found the eggs) when we went in tonight (almost dark). All the others were on the roost, and she was sitting oddly, butt kind of up and wouldn't leave. Do chickens lay after dark? Also, how do all of you know which hen laid an egg? We have 4 Barred rock, 2 B.O., and 3 Isa Browns. Will their eggs be different shades of brown? Thx

I have also found eggs first thing in the morning, not sure if they laid them before they roosted or first thing in the morning. But I am always glad to see them no matter what time. And, those look like pretty decent size eggs! congrats

Those eggs look like our Red Star eggs. Nice and dark. Our Barred Rocks lay a light brown, almost pink egg and our Buff Orpingtons lay a light brown, kind of generic egg. Each breed's egg color is slightly to intensely different, from our experience. And, each hen of the same breed could lay a slightly different shaped egg. We have a Buff Orpington that lays a super long, skinny egg that won't fit in normal, large egg cartons. Some of our Red Stars and RIRs lay eggs that are so large, they won't fit in jumbo egg cartons!

It's always a surprise! :)

Those eggs look like our Red Star eggs. Nice and dark. Our Barred Rocks lay a light brown, almost pink egg and our Buff Orpingtons lay a light brown, kind of generic egg. Each breed's egg color is slightly to intensely different, from our experience. And, each hen of the same breed could lay a slightly different shaped egg. We have a Buff Orpington that lays a super long, skinny egg that won't fit in normal, large egg cartons. Some of our Red Stars and RIRs lay eggs that are so large, they won't fit in jumbo egg cartons!

It's always a surprise! :)
Ok, thank you, that makes sense because the 3 Isa Browns seemed to look the most ready to lay due to the size and color of their combs. I suspect it was a couple of them.

Congrats on the first eggs! :wee
I agree, they may have been the ISA's. Ime, buff orp eggs were more of a light tan and barred rock eggs looked almost pinkish.

Chickens don't lay at night, only in the mornings typically. Maybe your orpington is broody. (She wants to sit on eggs and raise chicks) Broodies sit on the nest day and night.
You can either get her fertile eggs to sit on, or break her by putting her in an elevated wire cage with a mesh bottom for a few days. The airflow supposedly makes them stop setting.

Congrats on the first eggs! :wee
I agree, they may have been the ISA's. Ime, buff orp eggs were more of a light tan and barred rock eggs looked almost pinkish.

Chickens don't lay at night, only in the mornings typically. Maybe your orpington is broody. (She wants to sit on eggs and raise chicks) Broodies sit on the nest day and night.
You can either get her fertile eggs to sit on, or break her by putting her in an elevated wire cage with a mesh bottom for a few days. The airflow supposedly makes them stop setting.
Oh my, I hope she is not getting broody-we do have a rooster but not ready to have chicks

Oh my, I hope she is not getting broody-we do have a rooster but not ready to have chicks
New layers might lay any time of day or night, most older birds lay between sunup and mid-afternoon....but even later is not unheard of.
She may have been 'caught' in the nest as darkness descended. I wouldn't call broody yet. Keep pulling her out of nest at night and put her on roost.

Here's how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
But you might not be able to tell who is laying exactly which egg unless you catch them 'in the act'. ISA can lay pretty dark eggs, and usually lay younger than your other breeds

Back
Top Bottom