Hens going bald!

chickenwoods

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
**||OKLAHOMA||**
First just one or two of my hens were going bald on their back right at the base of the tail, and on theback of thar wings,now all of them have missing feathers around the base of their tail.. I know part of it is from my rooster,and some of them are compleatly down to skin around tail.

I know i have some pak rats living in the drowers in a desk i have out in the barn,i keep killing them but more keep showing up.and the drowers are full of chicken feathers...

Is it possible that the rats are getting feathers from the hens while the hens are roosting?????????

Its not like the barn is infested with rats,really there is only that one place for the rats to be.and i only see one or 2 at a time.

This is the only place feathers are missing.so i dont think its mites..

Oh--nevermind, read closer!!
lol.png

I would check them close for mites.
I would think the roo could do that. A friend of mine has that with her roo's favorites. I would htink teh reats are picking up feather to make nest...probably not pulling them.

I've put denim "chicken saddles" on hens to protect the backs of 2 chickens who'd get baldish from rooster breeding. The saddles have been a great blessing, and enabled the one hen who would hide out and was starving herself to join the flock happily.
I have a few for sale or can refer you to free online patterns. If you're interested, email me.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of rats stealing the feathers and putting them in desk drawers! I think it could definitely happen. Chickens sleep very soundly, and I know rats and mice steal all kinds of stuff for their nests, so why not?

Back
Top Bottom