1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens going to "lay" to get out of their duties to the rooster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prancie, Jan 8, 2010.

1. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 4 BO hens and a BO rooster. For the time being we have a stall in the barn we use for a coop and then there is another room that their nest boxes are in. In the morning when we let the out often one or two of the hens go directly into the laying room to lay their eggs for the day. I have noticed though, that often the rooster (Hitchcock) is feeling very amorous in the morning and will do his dance for a hen. Usually they oblige him but a couple of times I have seen a hen pretend that she needs to go lay and then when Hitchcock leaves she pops right back out of the laying room (w/out laying) and goes out to the yard!!! [​IMG] Hitchcock is always very respectful of their laying room and NEVER goes in there. I find it so funny and the hens use it to get out of their "duties."

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Kinda' like when we get a headache! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG] Don't tell me chickens are dumb!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by