Hens habits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by koifarm, Jan 2, 2011.

1. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Took this one this afternoon, we had let the girls out for a stroll and in the process one of them found treats in a styrofoam bowl and decided to wear a new costume for the New Year. We haven't decided if it will bother egg production or not but will remove it when they coop up for the evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tnfarmgrls

tnfarmgrls New Egg

Jan 2, 2011
    That's hilarious! I never realized the personalities and fun that chickens provide until I got my bunch in aug. The store said they are golden comets. My hens look like yours. [​IMG]

3. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What a goof!

4. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    OMG, silly hen! They do the funniest things!!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

Styrofoam = great chicken fun! [​IMG]

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG]
    Really like the bowl look!

8. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    What a riot! [​IMG] Silly bird!

Thanks for sharing that...I needed a little poultry levity! There was drama, no, make that DRAMA in my chicken world today.

I had the opportunity to visit a local breeder's farm today, and it was a real pleasure! They have a beautiful variety of show quality breeds - from Cochins, to Game birds; Bantam Brahmas, to Barred Plymouth Rocks, which is what I went there for - a rooster for the hens - to replace the cockerel I thought I had - the one that just started laying. [​IMG]

The cockerel is lovely. He's quiet; well-mannered; healthy; for my desire, a very handsome bird. But from the way the hens acted when they realized he was in their midst, you would think I had brought home a wolf! [​IMG] Poor guy! He was/is afraid of them & they of him; he made a pass at a couple of the hens, which scared him just as much as it scared them! [​IMG] Good news is...lights are out & everyone is in the same coop on roost bars. OK, so I did have to go in in the dark and place a couple of the boneheads up on the roosts.

Definitely looking forward to days when a styrofoam plate is the highlight of chicken world !

[​IMG]

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    She just wanted to keep warm and look fashionable while doing it. LOL. [​IMG]

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    The newest fashion fad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by