Hens habits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by koifarm, Jan 2, 2011.

1. koifarm

koifarm Songster

Took this one this afternoon, we had let the girls out for a stroll and in the process one of them found treats in a styrofoam bowl and decided to wear a new costume for the New Year. We haven't decided if it will bother egg production or not but will remove it when they coop up for the evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tnfarmgrls

tnfarmgrls Hatching

Jan 2, 2011
    That's hilarious! I never realized the personalities and fun that chickens provide until I got my bunch in aug. The store said they are golden comets. My hens look like yours. [​IMG]

3. ErinG

ErinG Songster

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What a goof!

4. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    OMG, silly hen! They do the funniest things!!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

Styrofoam = great chicken fun! [​IMG]

7. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG]
    Really like the bowl look!

8. 7&8

7&8 Songster

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    What a riot! [​IMG] Silly bird!

Thanks for sharing that...I needed a little poultry levity! There was drama, no, make that DRAMA in my chicken world today.

I had the opportunity to visit a local breeder's farm today, and it was a real pleasure! They have a beautiful variety of show quality breeds - from Cochins, to Game birds; Bantam Brahmas, to Barred Plymouth Rocks, which is what I went there for - a rooster for the hens - to replace the cockerel I thought I had - the one that just started laying. [​IMG]

The cockerel is lovely. He's quiet; well-mannered; healthy; for my desire, a very handsome bird. But from the way the hens acted when they realized he was in their midst, you would think I had brought home a wolf! [​IMG] Poor guy! He was/is afraid of them & they of him; he made a pass at a couple of the hens, which scared him just as much as it scared them! [​IMG] Good news is...lights are out & everyone is in the same coop on roost bars. OK, so I did have to go in in the dark and place a couple of the boneheads up on the roosts.

Definitely looking forward to days when a styrofoam plate is the highlight of chicken world !

[​IMG]

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    She just wanted to keep warm and look fashionable while doing it. LOL. [​IMG]

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    The newest fashion fad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: