Hens haven't been laying for months

pruettchickens

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2016
Pike County, IL
I have 23 chickens. 10 of them being new hens, I expected them to be laying by now. 1 rooster. And the rest are anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 years old. I have a few that I know for sure are older so I understand that they may be slowing down, one of those lays green eggs so I can tell when she lays at least. Some have been molting, but this past week I havent noticed as many feathers around. I have been mixing a bag of layer crumbles with a bag of feather fixer. I also give scratch grain and mealworms every morning. They have free choice oyster shells and I also crush up our eggs and give to them. They are free range every day, I just shut them up when they roost. I have also shut them up for a few days every once in a while to make sure they arent laying anywhere else. Still only 1 egg a day. And some days I get nothing. The weather has been good. I just can't believe that this has been going on for months. I got the new chickens mid August. I quarantined at first, then let them be fenceline and when I introduced I saw little to no fighting. My roosting space is 8 foot all together. Some of them roost in front of the nesting boxes which I always move them back to the roost when I shut them up at night. I just am not sure where I am going wrong or if this is normal! Thanks!
20181021_093702.jpg
20181021_093709.jpg
20181021_093744.jpg

That’s normal for my chickens. They are all soft, slow molters. They’ve gone off-lay for as long as 4 mo., much to my dismay. They also molt late in the season, so shortened daylight hours, and overcast conditions contribute to their extended break. I haven’t found that changes to my girls’ diet really helps, but lots of people swear by extra protein to get their girls back in the nestbox sooner rather than later. I would suggest tinkering with their protein intake, and give fresh greens for a treat. Black oil sunflower seeds are a good molter’s treat to help with feather growth, and you can sprout them as well. If you don’t use supplemental lighting, you might try that, too to see if it helps. I don’t use it myself, I just deal with their break and go buy some eggs, but then I only have 7 layers. If I had as many as you, I would probably try harder to get eggs because it’s expensive to feed that many with no return on investment.

Last edited:
That’s normal for my chickens. They are all soft, slow molters. They’ve gone off-lay for as long as 4 mo., much to my dismay. They also molt late in the season, so shortened daylight hours, and overcast conditions contribute to their extended break. I haven’t found that changes to my girls’ diet really helps, but lots of people swear by extra protein to get their girls back in the nestbox sooner rather than later. I would suggest tinkering with their protein intake, and give fresh greens for a treat. Black oil sunflower seeds are a good molter’s treat to help with feather growth, and you can sprout them as well. If you don’t use supplemental lighting, you might try that, too to see if it helps. I don’t use it myself, I just deal with their break and go buy some eggs, but then I only have 7 layers. If I had as many as you, I would probably try harder to get eggs because it’s expensive to feed that many with no return on investment.

Ok this is the first year that they quit laying that early so I wasnt sure. The feather fixer was something I added for protein. It is getting expensive. I may have to get rid of some older ones but am giving them until late spring to see who starts laying

Crowding could be an issue.
That coop and roost space is not nearly enough space for 23 birds.
....and since it is too small to lock them up for the week it would take to 'train' them to the coop nests, I'm guessing your eggs are out in range area somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom