Hens just started laying a couple months ago.something wrong with vent?

Not once did I say I was putting her back in with my other hens! Thanks though ;)
She’s staying in my shed and I have her out enjoying the sun for a few mins.not sure she’ll make it though regardless.

Attachments

• 555F59DA-1967-48D3-BC89-0A7F0FF34A2C.jpeg
    555F59DA-1967-48D3-BC89-0A7F0FF34A2C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Not once did I say I was putting her back in with my other hens! Thanks though ;)
I did it!!! I think I’ll let her rest Overnight and put her back in the coop tomorrow
My comment was based on this one, my mistake I must have misunderstood. Was also commenting for the benefit of any other reader who may be in the same situation.

No, it doesn't look very good, sometimes with a prolapse, the white urates seem to accumulate, stick and even harden to the tissue almost like a scab. Just keep it all moist and covered with your ointment/oil, this is very important. As she heals, the crust material will usually fall away, but keeping it moist will help with that.

Her not pooping much is, however, a concern. The prolapse may be partially blocking the intestine, but hopefully this will resolve as well. Her drinking a lot, she may be trying to pass stool, just keep watch on that. Continue with the calcium which will help with retention and if she's got another egg on the way, hopefully she'll be able to pass it on out.

Keep us posted.
She’s still alive and wonders around outside when I let her but her vent still doesn’t look very nice.

A prolapsed cloaca or vent is something that can be treated, but she needs to be separated from her flock who may be attracted to the red tissue and peck and injure her. Keep the prolapsed tissue moist with honey or oil/cream, and try pushing it back inside. Keep her vent clean, and a daily soak can help to heal or wash off droppings. Is she able to poop? You may want to give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D or a Tums orally. Does she lay eggs often? Prolapses occur sometimes from being egg bound, and straining to pass the egg or being constipated. Here is another good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
Thank you. I just gave her calcium and tried to clean the area and put olive oil on her vent. When I attempted to push it back in I could tell it bothered her so I left it

A prolapsed cloaca or vent is something that can be treated, but she needs to be separated from her flock who may be attracted to the red tissue and peck and injure her. Keep the prolapsed tissue moist with honey or oil/cream, and try pushing it back inside. Keep her vent clean, and a daily soak can help to heal or wash off droppings. Is she able to poop? You may want to give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D or a Tums orally. Does she lay eggs often? Prolapses occur sometimes from being egg bound, and straining to pass the egg or being constipated. Here is another good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
Is this a good sign? After a salt bath, Olive oil, and calcium pill this is what she looks like this morning. It appears to be an egg hanging down. Should I leave it or try to pull it out?

Attachments

• 16F7D8EC-9316-4914-BAA2-23A57502505A.jpeg
    16F7D8EC-9316-4914-BAA2-23A57502505A.jpeg
    676.9 KB · Views: 6
Is this a good sign? After a salt bath, Olive oil, and calcium pill this is what she looks like this morning. It appears to be an egg hanging down. Should I leave it or try to pull it out?

Attachments

• 8DC726E4-45F8-43D8-8BBC-8629EA8495F8.jpeg
    8DC726E4-45F8-43D8-8BBC-8629EA8495F8.jpeg
    882.7 KB · Views: 6
That does not look too good.
Separate her from the rest of the flock so she doesn't get pecked on the prolapse.
Are you sure there's an egg in there? Does it feel like one?
Keep giving the calcium.
How is she now?
I can see the egg at the opening of her vent but the vent is right out. I gave her more calcium and a magnesium bath and put more olive oil on her vent. I’ve pushed the vent back in gently but when she pushes it comes right back out. She’s away from the flock now

Back
Top Bottom