Hens just started laying a couple months ago.something wrong with vent?

Pics

Anne_

Chirping
Dec 16, 2021
My hens just started laying and I’ve noticed a few bloody eggs. This morning i noticed one of my hens back side looking really sore with something protruding out? What is this and can anything be done? I posted a couple pics

Attachments

• E96E4356-2DFD-46B4-8BCD-D24B3F300586.jpeg
    E96E4356-2DFD-46B4-8BCD-D24B3F300586.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 1E0E7C33-783A-4052-9024-DC60B3E58997.jpeg
    1E0E7C33-783A-4052-9024-DC60B3E58997.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 170F7D8E-8FD2-4604-9C29-EB21C239F387.jpeg
    170F7D8E-8FD2-4604-9C29-EB21C239F387.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 5
  • BB85D955-1C9F-42DA-B4BE-B3A4FA8AAB77.jpeg
    BB85D955-1C9F-42DA-B4BE-B3A4FA8AAB77.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 6
A prolapsed cloaca or vent is something that can be treated, but she needs to be separated from her flock who may be attracted to the red tissue and peck and injure her. Keep the prolapsed tissue moist with honey or oil/cream, and try pushing it back inside. Keep her vent clean, and a daily soak can help to heal or wash off droppings. Is she able to poop? You may want to give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D or a Tums orally. Does she lay eggs often? Prolapses occur sometimes from being egg bound, and straining to pass the egg or being constipated. Here is another good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

I did it!!! I think I’ll let her rest Overnight and put her back in the coop tomorrow
Glad you were able to get the egg out.

Can you take some photos in better lighting of what the vent looks like now?

I agree, I would not put her back unless the vent is staying in and isn't damaged. Make sure she's staying hydrated and get some calcium into her.

Give her another calcium tablet if you haven' already given one today. If her prolapse has not retracted, she may have another, probably shell-less egg coming down. Once the prolapse retracts and remains inside, it's an indication she's in the clear. But do keep giving her a daily calcium tablet until she's laying normal eggs in a normal cycle.

It has surprised me over the years to discover that very often two back to back eggs are involved when egg binding occurs. The calcium seems to reset the cycle and corrects this for some reason I admit I do not understand.

Give her another calcium tablet if you haven' already given one today. If her prolapse has not retracted, she may have another, probably shell-less egg coming down. Once the prolapse retracts and remains inside, it's an indication she's in the clear. But do keep giving her a daily calcium tablet until she's laying normal eggs in a normal cycle.

It has surprised me over the years to discover that very often two back to back eggs are involved when egg binding occurs. The calcium seems to reset the cycle and corrects this for some reason I admit I do not understand.
I gave her a calcium tablet this morning. It’s just one from my pantry that I used to take myself. I’ll give her another one tomorrow if that’s ok. I feel like she’s still pushing so maybe that’s what’s happening.

She’s still alive and wonders around outside when I let her but her vent still doesn’t look very nice.
For now, You'll have to continue to clean her up several times a day and tend to the vent.
Make sure flies are not getting to the vent, you sure don't want maggots to get started.

It will go back in on its own. Pushing it in runs the risk of giving her an internal infection. Soak, wipe off sluffing bits of scabs. Add Vetercyn, witch-hazel in a water spray add honey over the area then sprinkle with sugar. AND Repeat. It should start to look like a mushroom cloud. as long as you see pink tissue under the scab it is still healing. I kept my girl in a dark place in a brooder. she laid three eggs during the course of almost two weeks. after the hard crusty mushroom scab fell of it went in on its own
She passed away yesterday:(. I don’t get how. She was doing so good :(

Back
Top Bottom