Hens lay, then stop, then lay membranes

cocoloco

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
I had 5 hens laying semi-regularly until mid May, they stopped during a horrible heat wave followed by 6 straight days of rain. During this time one laid a lash egg - she no longer lays. That leaves 4 hens that can lay. Two weeks ago, I got 2 eggs a day for about 5 days - there was another heat wave last week - laying stopped and now I'm finding membrane eggs. I found one 2 days ago in a nesting box, and one outside the coop. They have layer feed with calcium, which they like, plus oyster shell around the coop but I never see them eat it. My Rhode Island Red, Ginger, was born last Dec. She has always been healthy and active. Today she was acting broody - nested for 2 hours, came out, walked around for 20 min, nested again. I was so worried she was eggbound. I found a deflated membrane egg in the grass outside the coop but didn't think it was hers. I went in to check in the box under her, I found greenish poops (well, at least she is pooping!) and 2 tiny pieces of egg. They are not lash eggs - they have no smell, just feel a bit rubbery. I attached a photo. I was told this is common with young layers - but I don't consider her a young layer. I plan to watch her closely tomorrow. My husband says I worry too much but after one year of owning chickens, I still feel I am not doing anything right. One more question - the one who laid the lash egg - I never gave her antibiotics. I gave her vitamins, ACV,- she is still acting healthy. should I put her on something? I hear salpingitis can be painful. What can I do to keep her comfortable? By the way, these are my pets - I don't care if I get eggs - I just need to know if this laying, not laying, membrane egg cycle is normal or indicative of something going through my flock.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    688.5 KB · Views: 31
The last egg and the shell-less can both be cuased by the stress of the heat, i have 1 hen that even with oystershell on hand she rotates though full shel thin shell and shell-less eggs though she laid just fine last year.

Green poop didn't really mean anything that i know of. Lash eggs also don't have to smell to be considered last eggs, they are small glitches in the process and depending who you talk to and what you read can include anything from a fully formed tiny Opps egg, to the nasty rubbery clumps.

It does sound however like you might need to test or treat for something. Maybe even consult a vet, it sounds like something if off in the coop and its not the weather.

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. I am going nuts trying to figure out what it could be. I bring sick chickens to my avian vet - they never find bugs, mites, etc. - she always says they are clean birds. Just the same, I did spring cleaning in my coop about a month ago - I completely swept all the litter out from winter down to the bare wood floor, covered that with DE - then put soft pine shavings over that. Fresh chopped hay was put in the 6 nesting boxes. In addition to the other issues, BOTH roosters had one swollen, shut eye for a few days (I treated with Vetricyn eye wash and applied Terramycin twice a day - both are fine now.) I honestly don't know what else to do as far as the environment. They free range - and have constant access to layer pellets. I have two 3 gallon water dispensers - one in the yard and one in the coop. I change them out every other day and add apple cider vinegar to both.

Back
Top Bottom