Hen's leg (knee?) scales gone

khakismum

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2021
I just found one of my older hens laying on her side and having issues standing up. I managed to catch her and t about an inch of her scaly skin above her foot, her knee?/ankle? , is gone. I just see raw flesh where the scales should be. She is in obvious pain. What is this and how do I fix it? I have her isolated in a separate crate, I just need to know what to do.

20211226_124611.jpg
20211226_124606.jpg

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Diane

I just found one of my older hens laying on her side and having issues standing up. I managed to catch her and t about an inch of her scaly skin above her foot, her knee?/ankle? , is gone. I just see raw flesh where the scales should be. She is in obvious pain. What is this and how do I fix it? I have her isolated in a separate crate, I just need to know what to do.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Diane
She has Scaly Leg Mites. A chunk of the hardened debris has fallen off.
Do treat the raw area with Chlorhexidine, then apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment. Since the location is where she's lying on it and it will probably get soiled, I would also cover the raw area, but it's extremely important that you check the wound daily and treat it.

Before you wrap, apply a generous amount of Vaseline or Castor Oil both of her legs and feet making sure you work the oils up and into the scales of the legs/feet. This will help smother the mites.
You can also use Ivermectin to treat the SLM, but you will still need to apply oil to the legs a few times a week to get them to heal.
Very likely more of the crusts will begin to fall off and you will see more raw tissue underneath, so treat accordingly.

While you have her up, look to see if there's any lice/poultry mites on the body as well.

Back
Top Bottom