Hens not laying much

ElsewhereFarms

Hatching
Dec 7, 2020
I have 18 hens, ages 2.5 years and 1.5 years and a handful under 1 year old hatched from the older group. The older ones (mostly brown layers) do not seem to be laying much, getting 7-8 eggs a day total when I was getting 13-15 earlier in the spring.
No one is molting, they are free range on pasture and get organic layer mash and scratch grains daily. There are 2 roosters with them too

I have 18 hens, ages 2.5 years and 1.5 years and a handful under 1 year old hatched from the older group. The older ones (mostly brown layers) do not seem to be laying much, getting 7-8 eggs a day total when I was getting 13-15 earlier in the spring.
No one is molting, they are free range on pasture and get organic layer mash and scratch grains daily. There are 2 roosters with them too
Most hens are past peak production by 2.5, so it's probably just a natural slowdown. This is particularly true for the high-production hybrids. They tend to peak by about two. You'll still get eggs after that, but not as many.

they are free range on pasture
They may be laying out in the range area.
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

And if you are in the northern hemisphere, they may be slowing production prior to molting. My older birds have slowed laying and a few are dropping some feathers.
Welcome to BYC! @ElsewhereFarms
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1627044499838.png

Back
Top Bottom