Hens not laying

My 11 mo old barred rock hen hasn't laid any eggs ever since I have had her for almost 2 months now. I don't think it's stress, so I would think it's this crazy weather we have been having. I already had crocuses bloom and lettuce popping up in my garden which all just got killed by the frost. I can only imagine what it is doing to the birds systems.

The cold weather and shorter days will cause hens to stop production. If their nutritional needs are met, they'll start laying this spring!

Mine too had stopped laying for about 2 months
but then they started
up again.. with this cold
and shorter days
I have a 40 watt bulb hanging in their coop.
clap.gif

My stopped laying when they were not eating as frequently. I stopped giving them wet mash as treats and they stopped laying. Those spoiled babies!
lau.gif
I didn't get hardly any eggs for 1 1/2 months.

I started the wet mash again 1-2 times a day(4 cups for 8 chickens) and they are almost back to normal. They lay almost everyday.

It could be the light change, stress, lack of protien, or maybe they are just taking a break. My girls will sometimes take a long break(usually broody), but I would be concerned if they all were not laying.

There could be a number of reasons: temperature, daylight, stress, age, molting, health, genetic.

I conducted an experiment with my mixed flock. I use no artificial light and no heat. Clean coop with plenty of water and balanced food. Some breeds continue un-interrupted. Some are resting.

I used to use lights in the winter and had eggs. This experiment proved that production is possible without lights.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. They're all healthy and have a nice coop and fresh water. But this weather has been really weird. I guess that could be it

I was looking for some info on worms. My hubby got me 3 chickens for Christmas, I know, he such a romantic ;)
I noticed they had worms after the first day. We used wazine on them and again couple weeks later. The droppings seem to be clear of worms now. But...
I am wondering about eating the eggs.... Is it safe to eat eggs from a chicken with worms. I'm just so grossed out I don't know if I can. Plus can we eat the eggs from them after they have had the wazine?
They have yet to start laying, I feel like we are doing something wrong. I Can't wait to see just one lil egg. Even if I can't eat it.

Back
Top Bottom