hens on hunger strike?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jdsgirls, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jdsgirls

jdsgirls New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    Recently my six 'girls' stopped eating their mash (crumbles) which they have been getting all their lives. They do eat table scraps & grain that I throw out, but I'm afraid they aren't getting all their nutrients. Any suggestons?[​IMG]

2. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Try other feeds. Give 'em pellets, that's what I'd do, but get creative. See what you're chickens like and don't like. Maybe the feed was stale, maybe the formula was changed and they don't like it. They'll have to eat eventually. Don't rule out sickness.

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Thats easy, dont give them scraps. Chickens are not dumb, they will wait till you feed them the scraps instead of eating their own food. They will not starve themselves. When they realize no more scraps or treats, they will eat their real food.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] Anytime my girls slow down on eating their feed, I cut back on the treats. Works everytime.

5. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    Are they pooping? Does it look normal. How old is the food? I'd do the same as above & stop feeding treats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by