Hens on strike

ih66series

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Altoona, PA
I know that hens normally slow down laying in the winter, but I am getting at the most 5 eggs per week from 12 hens. Last summer I could get 50 or 60 eggs per week. The 9 oldest are about 16 months old and I have 3 wyandottes that are 1year old (2) and six months old (1). Is this severe drop off normal?

I have some Black Australorps that lay like mad and a couple New Hampshire Reds that haven't layed since Thanksgiving. Towards the end of fall we some really bad flooding and ever since then the NHR haven't laid an egg. They are now in the barn beside the BA's for encouragement but nothing.

Good luck!

I went over three weeks with 0 eggs from 12-18 month old Wyandottes after most had appeared to be done molting. They Had 14 hours of light. They started again on Jan 11th and I'm now getting about 5 eggs a day.

Some days they do get a couple of hours of light added on to the day due to the inconsistent solar power system. I will try adding cayenne pepper to their feed which I heard increases production.

Back
Top Bottom