Hens or roos?

duck&chickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Indiana
Ok so these birds hatched out in may/june. I cant figure out if they are hens or roos
idunno.gif

This is daddy
19331_img_1355.jpg

This is mommy (Japanese/auraucanna mix) and the babies when they were little
19331_img_2215.jpg

19331_img_2199.jpg

And these are the babies today
19331_img_2401.jpg

19331_img_2412.jpg

19331_img_2413.jpg

19331_img_2398.jpg

Babies and mom
19331_img_2411.jpg

Last edited:
Those are beautiful chickens! I'd guess hens also, especially if they are at 6 months now and the dad looks like he does. I'm jealous - very pretty ladies!

i'd say definately pullets at 6 months with no waddles. Interesting how mom was all white, dad had more white than black, however the girls have more black than white. Those genetics surprise me.

duck&chickencrazy :

Quote:
How can you tell?

Don't mean to step on any toes and DC&C, please answer also, but what tipped me off is the lack of sickle and saddle feathers, plus at 6 months, I'd expect a bit more in the hackle feather growth as well, just based on what the dad looked like. I'm no expert, but I read these forums A LOT so I've picked up some pointers.

hdowden is really good at this, hopefully she will see and post.​

Last edited:
duck&chickencrazy :

Quote:
How can you tell?

Well, they are 6 months old, right? They have small, pink combs and no slender, pointy saddle or hackle feathers. A 6 month old cockerel would have big red combs and wattles and the saddle and hackle feathers.
smile.png

BTW, they're not hens or roosters until they are 1 year old. Until then, they aer technically pullets and cockerels.​

I too will say pullets...no sign of saddle and hackle feathers, very slight comb and wattles...congrats! Gorgeous birds!

Back
Top Bottom