hens sitting on eggs

Chickens are a family. They make a lot of noise when one chicken is laying a egg. Its like they are helping her to lay! LOL Sometimes two or more hens lay in the same nest. It takes about 20 days for them to hatch. Do not remove any eggs or divide them. The hens will work it out themselves. The mother hens will protect them. Two Roosters will cause fights unless they are very young. They will fight over the hens.

This is the third time my silky layed eggs, 1st bunch none were fertile. 2nd bunch. out of 5 I incubated none hatched, but 2 eggs had full grown babys in egg but were dead, now she has 5 eggs in nest, when does she start laying on them or should I take them out. first egg is going on 7 days ago. what is the best way to go. take them out and try incubating again or leave the eggs in the nest not nowing if she will go broody? anyhelp from any one will be great. thanks

I have a hen that has been sitting on eggs for almost 2 months, the problem is I have No Roo, coyld I buy a couple chicks to make her think they her babies or no??..It's Sad to watch her like this, Thank You!!

Thank You!!.. It can't be healthy for her to sit like this..Week after week..I'll see if I can get a couple babies for her..Tks Again!!

Thank You!!.. It can't be healthy for her to sit like this..Week after week..I'll see if I can get a couple babies for her..Tks Again!!

You're right - it's not healthy for her. If you can't get day-old chicks (or at least chicks under a week old), it would be best to break her broodiness. Put her in an elevated cage with a wire bottom so there's good airflow to help cool her down. Make sure it's big enough to put in food and water and let her be for a few days. I have not done this, but other experienced chicken keepers do it all the time with good success.

You're right - it's not healthy for her. If you can't get day-old chicks (or at least chicks under a week old), it would be best to break her broodiness. Put her in an elevated cage with a wire bottom so there's good airflow to help cool her down. Make sure it's big enough to put in food and water and let her be for a few days. I have not done this, but other experienced chicken keepers do it all the time with good success.

Yes, this is the method I used, it worked very well. I didn't even elevate the cage. She of course HATED it, but it was pretty obvious after a few days when her behavior changed.

Ty all so much..Update..Went & bought 2 chicks almost 2 weeks old & Ree Ree my hen is Mothering them..That's all Ree Ree wanted was to be a Mamma again..She's bk to herself just now very protected over her babies that she adopted..Tks again to u all

Back
Top Bottom