Hens using nest boxs as roost

Roo-man

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Myrtle Point, Oregon
I just cleaned out my chicken coop this weekend and now my new Marans are using the nest boxes for there roost.
How do I get them to stop using the boxes and start using the pole roosts.?

Roo

sad.png

good luck. I have had same problems for years. Some times I will go out after dark and put the ones in the nesting boxes on the roost.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

Make the opening to your Nest boxes smaller. I've been told that a 6" by 6" hole is all they need to get in. The actual needs to be no bigger than 12"by12". If its not so cozy, they wont sleep in it.

I have the same problem with my 3 new-to-the-flock Frizzles, who are 6 mos old. I have resorted to placing a long board in front of the nesting boxes so that they can't get into them. I've found that they prefer sleeping (and hiding in the daytime) in the first two nesting boxes, so I leave the last box in the row OPEN just in case one of my working hens is so inclined to use it. I remove it first thing each morning. This at least keeps the poop out of my nest boxes and away from our eggs!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

They instinctively want to go as high as possible to roost. If your nestboxes are higher than your roosts, guess which one they are going to choose for roosting?
Also, what are you using for roosts? Chickens dislike having to grasp a round roost with their feet all night and it can cause foot problems down the road. Try 2X4s with the '4' side up. That way they can jump up, use their feet to get steady and settled and then release their grasp and rest thru the night on their keel bones.

It's been mentioned that the roosts need to be higher than the nest boxes. You might also try to curtain off the boxes at night, place cardboard in front of entrance, etc. After a while, they should be re-trained to use the roost. Just remember to remove the box barrier in the morning so your girls don't start laying on the coop floor....that's a whole 'nother can of worms!

Mine roost in the boxes sometimes. When I clean the coop in the morning I take another two seconds and clean the poop out of the box...Never seemed like a big deal to me?

Back
Top Bottom