Hens with poopy butts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlmancuso, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tlmancuso

tlmancuso Chirping

Jun 30, 2016
    Over half of my flock have poopy butts. This isn’t something I’ve ever noticed before! They are all acting normal and happy, but are all quite messy. Nothing has changed in their diets. I treated them with corrid this past fall. Could they possibly be needing probiotics?

2. frostic

frostic Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Lake elsinore California
    I don't think poopy butts need probiotics persay as it don't mean they are sick. Can you show what your chickens poop looks like? If your chickens are NOT acting funny or being lethargic or have strange poop i wouldnt worry and just give them a butt bath. Chickens do get poopy butts sometimes. you should give them a butt bath like in this video

peckpeckpeck likes this.
  3. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    This is fairly normal and isn't something you really need to worry about, assuming they are happy and healthy the rest of the time. If they are really messy, you can always trim the dirty feathers away ;)

frostic likes this.
  4. bajabirdbrain

bajabirdbrain Songster

Dec 30, 2016
    Whidbey Island, WA
    This is how we started in the chicken program! BB was watching a neighbor's chickens while he was away on vacation. Found a couple of girls with poopy butt and just HAD to clean them. I was enlisted to assist by holding the girl while BB did the actual washing. It didn't take long for BB to upgrade the living conditions of these neglected girls with not only hygiene but new bedding and upgraded run fencing, all at our expense and time, grrrrr. Couldn't take it after a year+ of working on his operation so we got our own 11 girls and never stop work but at least at home!!! PS A washer and a holder makes it MUCH easier!
    IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0673.JPG

Curnow, All_my_peeps and frostic like this.
  5. All_my_peeps

All_my_peeps In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2018
    Check them for lice. I have a few hens come to me with dirty bums and upon further/feather investigation I determined the culprit was lice.

You will notice small white eggs on the base of the feather shaft near the vent.

frostic likes this.
  6. GRB73

GRB73 Songster

Mar 10, 2016
    Also check for mites. We are battling northern fowl mite right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: