Hens with small combs

TerriBarth

Hatching
Oct 27, 2020
I purchased 8 Wellsummer hens in March so this is the first winter they are going through (live in WY). One hen is losing feathers on the back of her neck, she seems active yet though, she is the same one who never did get a nice big red comb, don't think she ever laid. The most eggs I ever got was 5 and now being colder I am down to 0-1. The rest of the girls all have smaller red combs now too. They are too young to molt from what I read. You think they are just wintering? It is early, only Oct, it will be a long winter for them if so and I will need to buy eggs if they don't produce more. I did change the diet to pellets which they seemed to not like.

Welcome to BYC!
My flock doesn't like pellets so they get crumble.
Have you checked them for lice or mites?
They may be going through a tiny molt.
With reduced natural light, they will slow or stop laying for the winter.

I purchased 8 Wellsummer hens in March so this is the first winter they are going through (live in WY). One hen is losing feathers on the back of her neck, she seems active yet though, she is the same one who never did get a nice big red comb, don't think she ever laid. The most eggs I ever got was 5 and now being colder I am down to 0-1. The rest of the girls all have smaller red combs now too. They are too young to molt from what I read. You think they are just wintering? It is early, only Oct, it will be a long winter for them if so and I will need to buy eggs if they don't produce more. I did change the diet to pellets which they seemed to not like.
Sounds like they're going through molt. I've always have young birds molt before winter.

Have any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom