Hens won't eat oyster shell, How to feed it?

Get a Grandpas feeder! THE ants will aha eno chance getting in there, and you can totally leave it uncovered while you go on Vacation, and it won't get wet! I love these and they are much more reliable then the nomad feeder, no spillage, no wet worrisome, on rodents or ants! There great! I know I sound like a Granpas feeder dealer trying to get you to my the product! Lol! It totally worth it!
Oh I have already bought one and had it at my house not long after my chicks arrived even but that was because of all the pandemic shortages and stuff was so hard to find and get. I just haven’t put to use yet because I had to elevate their food so much this summer due the dang bug deal. I got them under control with that and DE and spray outside the run with permethrin. However I was afraid to try this yet for fear of it attracting them again. That’s great to know though. I will fill it up and get them introduced to it ASAP. Thank you!

To introduce them, you can put something heavy not the pedal and, get hem used to stepping on it to get to the feed. Then after a couple days, you can unwrap the pedal, and they will know to step on it to get to he feed. Then the pedal will go down, and they will figure it out.

To introduce them, you can put something heavy not the pedal and, get hem used to stepping on it to get to the feed. Then after a couple days, you can unwrap the pedal, and they will know to step on it to get to he feed. Then the pedal will go down, and they will figure it out.
Thanks! I appreciate the tips!

Makes senses! I will get pearled OS and try and attarcthem to it with a nice new container, and some grubs, or feed. Thanks guys! Feel free to keep giving me additional info, I will use ti and keep you posted! Thanks again, Avery

I am linking the manufacturer of Pacific Pearl Oyster Shell.
This way you can see what you are looking for. I buy the 50# bag from my local feed store. Most feed stores around me do not carry it.
You may need to see if they can special order some for you.

https://www.lindmarine.com/services-products/oyster-shell-calcium-for-poultry/

This is how it should be packaged. You want the lay shell blend.

https://www.farmstore.com/product/pacific-pearl-oyster-shells-50-lb

I do not trust it as grit even though the link above says it functions as grit. Oyster shell is NOT grit. Grit is small stones oyster shell is....oyster shell.

Found this scratch! What do you guys think, it looks really nutricouse, and full of protein, and calcium! It think I will buy it! We are alway try to feed protein rich additions with plenty of protein because we feed table scraps and don't want hem to get a protein deficiency. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQ4D22...olid=12M0ZDM6JUG03&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I've tried that one - back when Manna Pro was giving out coupon books every year - my girls didn't care for it, as almost everything was too big & hard! I'm liking Flock Party Garden Grains at the moment, with added Black Oil Sunflower Seed.

I've tried that one - back when Manna Pro was giving out coupon books every year - my girls didn't care for it, as almost everything was too big & hard! I'm liking Flock Party Garden Grains at the moment, with added Black Oil Sunflower Seed.
I will check this out! I am shying away form it anyway. Its really just raisins and seeds, which isn't that special. I will check out your scratch! I am still looking for the pearly OS, need to find a better system of amy OS though. I have to put it int he run because they jus tpoop on it in the coop. But in the run it fills up with rain, and they ar ensign it as a gross drinking pan!:sick:gig

need to find a better system of amy OS though. I have to put it int he run because they jus tpoop on it in the coop. But in the run it fills up with rain, and they ar ensign it as a gross drinking pan!

Maybe drill some holes in the bottom of the container, so the water can run out.

I have 11 hens, 2 Silver laced Wyadottes, 3 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Barred rock, 2 RIR, and 2 golden sex links. I feed a big tub of oyster shell free choice for our hens to eat, for the calcium, and as far as I can tell, they don't eat it. I put it out at same time I put the same amount out for my ducks, we have 5 ducks, and the ducks OS, Oyster shell, is gone, were the hens OS doesn't even look touched. We have also been getting some really weak eggs, they broke in our hand when we are washing them. How do I get them to eat the calcium? I used to mix the OS into there feed, but heard that they could over eat the calcium, so I stopped. What would you guys do? Should I get another source of calcium, like Rooster Booster? Thanks Avery
I cannot buy oyster shells in Paraguay.... no one I know uses any calcium supplement other than throwing back the egg shells. Even our balanced feeds are not always available but I always give back the shells and the girls love them. They seem to devour what they need and ignore the excess. My hens lay eggs with strong shells and others have commented on that.

So, if they eat it when they need it.... What do you do when they will not eat it but their shells are thin? Is there something else that will harden their shells that they will eat. Note - They are only 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom