%$&^*@ HENS!

Henrietta23,
I have been paying from $1.49- $1.99 per dozen for plain white large eggs. I live in central Indiana, an hour north of Indy. At Wild Oats Market, near Indianapolis, a dozen of brown, organic, free range eggs is around $4.00.

Quote:
LOL! That's funny. Sorry to hear. I made a vow with my *broads* that I would NEVER buy store bought eggs EVER again! I would wait if they stopped laying until they started up again.
roll.png

We had a recent moult and they ALL decided to get a new wardrobe.
rant.gif

So, they slowed down from 25 a day to 2 a day - from 35 birds. :eek:

Now, slowly but steadily...getting 8-12 eggs a day. They are bigger too! Definitely worth the wait!
big_smile.png

Hang in there...they are worth the wait!

Peace-

Pedro
cool.png

Last edited:
I am so lucky!
My 17 are averaging about a dozen a day!!
cool.png

Weather here is about freezing at night, and around upper 30s to mid 40s in days.

Sorry some of you guys aren't closer, I'd be glad to give you some eggs. As it is, I give away 2 dz a week to my neighbor (great cook who always brings us goodies in return), a doz to another person each week, and still have lots left over!
tongue.png

It is SO nice to hear someone else complain about that! I mean, at least I know we're not alone in having to buy eggs! One of our egg custoers called last week and wanted two dozen eggs....I had to say...ummm,wellll (sigh) Any day the sun is out though, egg production picks up again...we're past the winter solstice, anyway!

Those girls are lucky they are so pretty... otherwise they'd be dinner!
wink.png

We really don't eat that many eggs. It just so happened that I needed eggs to make Christmas breakfast and some of the stuff I made for dinner. Blasted birds.

I haven't bought eggs in a few years until NOW!!! The ladies have decided to take a break and no amount of pleading, threatening or bribing is changing their minds about it! I've even resorted to the "stew pot" talk.
barnie.gif

My youngsters (24 weeks) JUST started laying a few days ago, so I'm hopeful we'll be getting more than the measly 2-3 per day we've been getting. This winter's egg production was messed up because a fox got 26 8 week old chicks and I had to wait until July for more to arrive. If it wasn't for that, I'd be OK with the older girls slacking off a bit.

Anyway... When I bought eggs I had a rude awakening! I sell mine for $2/doz. The nasty, pale store bought ones were over $2.50!!!!! Looks like I'll be raising my prices. Chicknmania, I know what you mean about telling people you have no eggs to sell.
sad.png

RChicks, I have all Rocks - White, Barred and Buff. They will usually lay well in the winter, but I have some older ones this year and the youngsters are not yet all laying.

Back
Top Bottom