%$&^*@ HENS!

Hey back to what Crunchie said.....Are there any ill effects to lengthening the daylight for the chicks? Damage to the laying cycle etc??????
Thanks - Nichole

Sorry folks, really hate to rub it in... but my girls are still laying. I have 14 hens, and 5 roos. Temps have been in 20-40 range. We had the nasty ice storm a few weeks ago that hit Mo.
The girls stopped laying about for 2 weeks back in Nov. They went down to 2 eggs a day from 9 or 10 daily. When I went to the feed store, I asked what to do for the winter to help them lay better. Dale told me to switch from layer feed to starter/growner. The extra protein will help them lay better. A week later production was back up.
I do have a lamp on at night, but it is more to keep the water from freezing.
My girls do still free range, and my neighbors love to watch the girls and enjoy feeding treats to them. They are at their house about as much as mine. I am so lucky to have wonderful neighbors.
Last week I was trying to get rid of 10 doz eggs. Finally got rid of them and one of my customers called the next day asking for 6 doz.!
I sell the eggs for 1.50 doz. This allows me to have my eggs and buy feed with the egg money. Works out really good. The neighbors usually get theirs for free, unless she forces me to take the money! The girls feed in their yard so why not give them free eggs? I noticed the other day a local business has a sign out selling" farm fresh brown or white eggs 2.00 doz. "
Back in Nov, DH told me he saw eggs were up to 2.39 doz. I couldn't believe it. The same week my supervisor saw that Moark had eggs prices going up a penny per day. According to her this was making them an additional million daily. How many eggs is that anyway????? This was cutting into our production, cuz we use the eggshells, and if they were selling instead of breaking the eggs we would have to slow down.
Oh well that's business I guess.

I bought eggs yesterday, and woke up today to find a nest of 6. Winter is not an issue here.

Last edited:
Ours have finally started laying again after a break of a month or so, Not like they will be in the spring, but still...I really think they need a break every year...and, it makes it exciting when they FINALLy start laying again!

not me my chickens lay me about 3 dozen eggs a day
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom