herbs

Ooops! I think you meant "herbs"... heeeheee
big_smile.png

I am currently growing basil, mint, rosemary, parsley, thyme and chives. I don't have a specific website that I use. I do use them in my cooking through and they are wonderful!

I've got thyme, flat leaf parsley, sweet basil, chives, and oregano on my kitchen windowsill right now. Like Chickenberry, I don't use a particular website, I just put the seeds in the pots in January, watered when needed, and now the plants are at the size they can be lightly pinched and used in my cooking. The aroma is lovely and they taste great too!

I have rosemary, sage, and thyme growing year round outside by my back porch. Some years the sage and rosemary freezes but usually they make it through the winter here without a problem since we don't have very many frosts. This year I also have spearmint (by itself) and some basil in with the veggies, which I harvest by pinching them back and dry from time to time. My thyme plant is just getting to harvest-able size after the last clipping it got and my sage is growing out again too. I don't dry rosemary since I don't use it in cooking very often but I LOVE me some home grown basil and thyme in my chicken! Store bought dried basil tastes like grass clippings.

The only food any of them have had is chicken poop "tea" that I make with an old pillowcase, a cheap aquarium pump, and a 5 gallon bucket in the back yard. The pump keeps air in there so it doesn't get stinking really bad from anaerobic bacteria. But I don't feed them often - other than the basil since it's with the tomato plants. Also an occasional side dressing of compost when I have plenty.

I don't go to any websites for growing herbs but I do have two different kinds of basil growing (sweet and Thai), and hopefully some thyme if those seeds grow. I thought I had planted some thyme already, but I guess they were kohlrabi seeds!
roll.png

I have sage and rosemary for years.. and love to use it all the time.. this year I have planted bee balm , basil, dill and cilantro my favorite.. Ive not had much luck growing herbs. hope this year is a charm..

)O(
Pink

I was just talking with a fellow at my local feed store who was looking for a site as well for herbs and beekeeping forums. Would love to have bees, in the northeast we are low on our honeybee population...i just don't have the room (close neighbors, lots fo kids)

I love herbs and take many for medicinal purpose, (natural cures and immunity) always looking for more. On the search now for Comfrey root and currant berry plants

I grow 3 different kinds of bee balm, hot and spicy oregano, 3 kinds of basil, chives, curley parsly, sage, catmint, mint, cilantro, rosemary and various fruits and veggies but my heart is really into the herbs. I use alot for cooking and baking. We hope to find more land in the future to grow mounds of herbs, right now our plot is only enough for our personal use, I have run out of room!

We are in the process of building a greenhouse so I can grow more and some rare varieties. we try to make the most of the season since here in Northeast PA summers seem to get shorter everyyear:( I love the sunshine and the heat!

Ranae and Pete hobby farmers Dallas Pa 15 Barred Rock chicks

I bought some herbs this year, but haven't got them in the ground. I'm not a good gardener and I don't know where to put them in my huge yard that it doesn't look like they've just been stuck out there. We may get them out tomorrow. I can't even remember exactly what I bought. I know I have different varieties of Thyme. I have Rosemary, Lavendar, cilantro and maybe a few others. I'm looking for some comfrey. I bought calendula seeds. It may be too late to plant, but I'm gonna try it.

Last edited:
I love my herb garden i am growing sweet basil thyme rosemary parsley sage lavender lemon balm marjoram
big_smile.png

I just dont have a green thumb when it comes to herbs.. my sage and rosemary grow .. ubt I have such a hard time with the other plants..
hit.gif

what am i doing wrong..
hu.gif
the sage and rosemary.. I just planted and I water it only when I think about it.. not reg at all. the other herbs I make sure they have water and correct sunlight hours. etc. and 2 of 4 are dying....
idunno.gif

)O(
Pink

Back
Top Bottom