Herding Dogs

ChickenMama76

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
We have 3! Help! Having the hardest time trying to teach them to leave our chicks alone (they are enclosed in a run/coop). Any tips?? We've had the chicks 6 weeks now.

Long line and teach them to work. A stock stick helps. That said, not all are cut out for it. My youngest aussie hit overarousal easily, so I need to get her on larger stock to put her head on. Also had an aussie/bc foster who I wouldn't trust with any stock animal, he wasn't bred well at all and had impairments (double merle).

Long line and teach them to work. A stock stick helps. That said, not all are cut out for it. My youngest aussie hit overarousal easily, so I need to get her on larger stock to put her head on. Also had an aussie/bc foster who I wouldn't trust with any stock animal, he wasn't bred well at all and had impairments (double merle).
I thought double merle was a lethal gene. Enlighten me.

We have 3! Help! Having the hardest time trying to teach them to leave our chicks alone (they are enclosed in a run/coop). Any tips?? We've had the chicks 6 weeks now.
Good luck with that. Bottom line is that your dogs will never be trustworthy around chickens.

Ok, ignore the naysayers. Herding and hunting breeds are The EASIEST to train to leave your chickens alone. If you ha huskies there'd be a problem.

But - think about it - herding breeds traditionally live on farms. If they were endlessly harassing the livestock, traditionally they were shot - those dogs didn't breed. And hunting breeds are flat useless if they're running around like maniacs after every little rustle and scent. If they were unable to focus on the exact desired scent and work I in a controlled manner, again, bullet and no puppies.

So, now that that's out of the way, what you have are 3 dogs specifically bred to work for you. So now, you need to put in the work - give them jobs.

Start simple. Start with Down. A dog is physically incapable of chasing anything while Down. Work it inside and out. Commercial break? That's 10 reps. Does Pup want out? Door doesn't open until Pup downs. Same for in. Work on leash right next to the chickens. Work far enough away that the dog can focus, because clearly, they're not used to paying attention to you. Also work on Watch Me and Leave It.

Frankly, if your dog will Leave It an Down at 50 yards, there's not much more training you need.

As far as them getting trustworthy, I have an Aussie/Chow mix and a GSD, both of whom are completely reliable around poultry of all sorts. When I clean the brooder, I can let the chicks run around the kitchen floor (the kids love it) and all 3 of my dogs would never dream of touching them. The third dog is a Standard Poodle (hunting breed) and is only 15 months old, so not totally reliable off leash at distance outside. Meaning, I still have to tell her Leave It, she doesn't yet just assume she's not allowed. But when I say it, she does, from across a 5 acre field.

This is a totally doable thing.

I thought double merle was a lethal gene. Enlighten me.
Double Merle is usually lethal, as it leads to incomplete development of eyes, ears and intestine. They can live, if they have an anus, even though they're likely blind and/or deaf, possibly with small or no eyes and intestinal trouble. Which is why most breeders do the kind thing and put them down at birth. And yes, good, careful breeders can have them. Accidents happen and also genetic merles may have very, very little visual merle.

It is not lethal, that's a super common misnomer of the ignorant. They can however have health issues, the most common being sight and hearing impairment. The merle gene though is complex, with multiple SILV insertions and multiple lengths that dictate presentation and risk. The only way to know for sure what is happening is to do genetic color tests, especially since cryptic and low length may not show any visible merling, as well as certain colors covering them (sable and ee most notably).

I have two dogs that are part herding. One is half Aussie. We have started working with her and the chicks already. The herding in this girl is strong! Just ask the poor kids every time they run and she tries to herd and corral them. She is very protective (we hope) of the chicks and any time they sound off she is alert and at the stairs to check them out. We have already got her so that she doesn’t go down to see them without us so I’m hopeful we can have her trained not to harm them.

It is not lethal, that's a super common misnomer of the ignorant. They can however have health issues, the most common being sight and hearing impairment. The merle gene though is complex, with multiple SILV insertions and multiple lengths that dictate presentation and risk. The only way to know for sure what is happening is to do genetic color tests, especially since cryptic and low length may not show any visible merling, as well as certain colors covering them (sable and ee most notably).
Ignorant? Double merle was listed in my genetics textbook as being a lethal gene.

Back
Top Bottom