Here in northcentral Arkansas, it's vanilla scent time again

arkansas_ash

Chirping
Dec 30, 2017
Hi all,
It's that time of year again, last week of March, first week of April when the tiny humpbacked Buffalo flies emerge from the local creeks to pester our chickens, sometimes our black cat's face and occasionally us. I'm prepared this year with vanilla scented car air fresheners. This year I also bought Glade plugins refill 2 pack sheer vanilla bottles, removed the wick top, applied some to a soft cloth and wiped my chickens feathers with it. They quckly stopped shaking their head and heading for dark areas as the flies left them alone. I have some permithrin liquid, but find the vanilla scent works great. The pesty buggers should be gone by mid-May for our area when the creek waters warms up.

I'm glad we don't have those in NY. But the black flies are soon to show themselves and pester the heck out of us.

I have had issues with flies but very few biting type. In the summer months when the flies are very prevalent, they are attracted to sweat. It drives me crazy when I'm out working in and around the coops and I'm being attacked by hundreds of flies. A few years ago I had mites in a couple of coops along with the flies. I used permethrin concentrate in a sprayer and sprayed inside all of the coops. When I went out to do my following weekly treatments There were practically no flies in and around the coops. Now if there is an increase in the fly population I mix up my permithrin and spray away. If they bother me they must bother the birds too.

Attachments

• GordonsHorse& StableSpray.jpeg
    GordonsHorse& StableSpray.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3
  • permethrin spray.jpg
    permethrin spray.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 3
Works great. You can also get by the gallon depending on how much you need. It is also premixed ready to use. Martin's Pen and Poultry spray works well and also has the same amount of permethrin in it. I use regular permethrin concentrate but I also have a lot of coops.
I really like to recommend the pre-mixed permethrin spray because extremely easy.

I agree. For those with smaller flocks I would use the premixed too. The key is to have the right mixture and the premixed is 0.50%. In some other threads some people use the concentrate then say that it didn't work for them so I think it is because they didn't have the strength needed to knock out the pests. I was just meaning that it also comes premixed in the gallon size.

Back
Top Bottom