Here is a few pics of my 2 chicks and my hen looking to see wt thy r

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
These first few pics are of my chicks believed to be a RIR Roo and a BR hen but what do you think
19757_olderchick3.jpg

19757_olderchick2.jpg

19757_olderchick.jpg

19757_olderbr2.jpg

19757_olderbr.jpg

ANd here is mt laying hen which i thought was a RiR but actually looking at it it is much lighter some people were saying a sex-link a red one but can you tell what sex link it was, what brred the hen was? a sim sure the roo was a rir but not 100 % so if u can tell please let me know here is some pics:
19757_hen4.jpg

19757_hen3.jpg

19757_hen2.jpg

19757_hen.jpg

thankyou every1 who takes time to look at this thanks

For some reason I think you have a RIR male and a BR male...but it could just be a trick of the light on my computer.

Your hen looks like a golden sex-link. There are no barred birds in that breeding. A white female is covered by a red male in order to make the cross.

How old are the chicks? The comb does look more pullet-like than that of the RIR, but in the overhead shots the color definitely looks like the silvery color of a cockerel rather than the black of a pullet.

Your hen looks a lot like my Red Stars, which is supposed to be a RIR roo over a Delaware hen. But she could be a Gold Comet -- then again, so could mine, I only have McMurray's word that they're Red Stars. With the red sex-links it can be quite challenging to determine exactly what breeds they have in them just by looking.

Ohh, and the hen is probably a New Hampshire Red, they're a little lighter than RIR's. And a Red Sex-Link is a RIR crossed with a white leghorn I'm pretty sure. I can't remember off the top of my head.

thank you every1 who responded i was hoping my br is a hen i didnt know you could tell from the color of the feathers this late im not sure how old they are but they were born in nov, and maybe the rir in late october not sure tho they were a 4h project chicks that i picked up from some person

also the white leg horn sounds like a good red sex link as the white feathers in my hens tail but i am not 100% sure and most likely i never will be lol,

Also for other looking i would love you opinion of sexes on on my chicks and the breed of my hen just let me know thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some decent pics of 3 out of 4 of my RSLs, these are all supposed to be Red Stars -- which use a Delaware hen rather than a Leghorn -- but can we really know for certain?

This is #2, her comb looks like she has Leghorn in her, she also has white in her tail.
RSL2.jpg

This is #4, who also has white in her tail and around her neck, and a large comb that looks somewhat Leghorn-ish.
RSL4.JPG

This is Baby, she was the slowest to mature and has the least white of all the RSL pullets, her comb stands straight up without a hint of wanting to lean. She also went broody early on in her laying career.
RSLBaby.jpg

Of those not shown, #3 looks a lot like Baby (I often get them confused), #1 and Ariel (they're gone) looked more like #2 and #4 with combs that stood upright.

Here's a pic of a couple of my BR when they were about 6-7 weeks -- the pullet is very dark compared to the cockerel.
sexing6.jpg
normal_sexing7.jpg

Last edited:
ok i see so since my Barred rock looks light colored then i suppose it is a cockeral, does the darkness method always work? also for the hen so you believe it was a rir mixed most likely a white leghorn right, is that what yours were mix with cuz my hen looks alot lighter?

Quote:
How old is your hen? Mine were lighter when they were younger, especially Baby. They're all pushing 2 yrs old now and have molted at least once. Since I got all of mine from McMurray I have no way of knowing what their parents were -- and neither does McMurray. Your guess is as good as mine. I usually just call them red sex-links since that's the most accurate description.

As for the BRs, yes, the color will always be a telling factor. The barring is different on the males than the females (I believe the boys get 2 barring genes while the girls get only one) which causes the females to be darker.

Back
Top Bottom