Here is my first episode of "Guess the Sex."

I would not plan on keeping all of your roosters. However, a lot is going to depend on your chicken experience, and a huge amount on the space in your coop and run.

Roosters need more room than the 4 ft square often recommended. Roosters have no understanding of the idea of sharing hens, or these are my hens, those are your hens. Roosters kept together often have crowing contests, that you and the neighbors may not like.

Roosters are a crapshoot, a lot do not work, and one should really keep the bare minimum of roosters that will fulfill your needs. To keep 2 roosters, I would want between 20 and 30 hens and the space for that many birds. People do it with less space than that, but the chance of trouble rises dramatically without enough space. Most truly backyard set ups do not have enough space for roosters.

And rooster chicks are always the most out going darlings, they are so brave. But way too often the darling goes to the nightmare in what seems like an instant.

Mrs K

To tell you the truth, roosters are amazing! For example: My ameraucana rooster just defended my flock and fought a raccoon, long enough for me to kill it. All of my hens are safe and healthy thanks to him! I would have lost the entire flock last night if it wasn't for him. He is sweet, and he LOVES being held. He watches his hens like nobodies business! Plus, he made it out with almost no wounds, just a couple scratches on the legs. . .

Back
Top Bottom