Here it is!!!!! Our "indoor" Coop.

Quote:
We have an EcoHeat panel for our coop, as we live in Wisconsin and winter is very cold. Last winter, we made the mistake of putting it in a small area, and I think it was too hot, as the chickens sat outside all winter! After a few weeks of that, we moved the panel to the outside part of the coop, added a space blanket to cut the wind (around the outside) and the chickens would huddle next to the panel.

We never did get them to roost inside, so this fall we built a coop addition, with a high indoor roost, and they love it. Need to mount the panel, but so far even the 40 degrees overnight has not been too cold for them.

Great coop, btw!

Im sure you will have some happy ckx. great job.
clap.gif

That looks FANTASTIC, Dawn! Wow! Great job
smile.png

What have you used for the walls? Will you be able to clean the runny 'cecal poo' off it when they sit on those big wide windowsills (I see bedding up there, so clearly you've anticipated that
smile.png
) and squirt poo down the walls?

<applause>,

Pat

Quote:
Ha ha!!! Good luck with that. Lots of eye batting and hair flipping???
I bought him a 10 x 12 metal shed for "ONLY" his stuff. When we got that shed up, we moved his stuff out of that corner. It was hard to get to with all the toys and things anyway. When the corner was clear, I started putting ideas into his ear about how much "easier" (Ha!) and less expensive (ha HA!) the coop would be if it went there. So much more insulation, less drafts, etc. etc. You gotta work your angles (and eye batting doesn't hurt).

Quote:
Thanks!!!! We would come in and study your ventilation and cold coop page then run out and keep building!! You were like the ghost writer of our coop building.
The walls are plywood primed then painted with a couple of coats of Kilz outdoor paint. (I now wish I had some color in there as it looks like the white rubber room in the looney bin). But it is bright! I was wondering if I put a super small shelf to extend each window ledge, then if they stood at the edge and pooped, it should fall off? DH asked if I would like crown molding? Lol. I thought of putting deer netting on those two windows like I have on the others, but they really like looking out in the morning, as those two windows face east. Do you think the tiny shelves would work?
I also want shelves to go up over the windows, since the roof is so darn high. That space is wasted. If I put open shelves up there, will the chickens fly up there? Is there anything I could do to prevent that? Deer netting? Burlap?

Quote:
As long as you don't mind poo *on* the ledge and shelf, it sounds like a good idea to me.

I also want shelves to go up over the windows, since the roof is so darn high. That space is wasted. If I put open shelves up there, will the chickens fly up there? Is there anything I could do to prevent that? Deer netting? Burlap?

Shelves like for storage, you mean? (as opposed to 'serving as chicken furniture'). The most effective thing would be to get some old cabinets that have been pulled out of someone's kitchen renovation, the kind that go over the stove or sink and are thus not awfully tall, and mount them above the windows. Not only would this keep chickens out, it keeps chicken DUST out, which is the biggie. Or, make your own open-front cabinet or shelves to go up there, take a sheet of HEAVY gauge plastic sheeting, staple it to the top and then staple a piece of 2x2 along the bottom to make a weighted plastic curtain. Again, keeps chickens out, and will 'more or less' keep dust off whatever's stored on the shelves.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Back
Top Bottom