1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here Pig, Pig, Pig, Pig!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Buster, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I bought two pigs yesterday. We are excited to raise our own pork. One is a hampshire/duroc cross and the other is a yorkshire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Looks like many of us have moved into the pork business. LOL

How much do they weigh in at now?

Take care with the pink one during the heat of summer. It will sun burn easily. Sounds strange but true.

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Nice pigs Buster, can you smell the bacon?? We had a pig story of our own. You should read it!! The three little pigs showed up. We have got pigs gone wild here in Idaho!![​IMG]

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The Hamps are my favorites. I like my pork black skinned.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    They are cute.
    I used to have a hampshire/duroc cross as a pet. She was very smart and very cute.

6. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    is there a backyardswine.com site in the making? I missed out at the Animal Swap in Kankakee on sunday, real little pigs there sold for $10. I was too late(but still well before sunrise).

I just got off the phone with a local pig farmer I know and his opinion was I wouldn't want a pig until they were about 40lbs. Said I would need to feed them a progression of 6 different formulas. He said it would be alot of work(maybe he thinks I can't handle it??) Anyway, they just got in or are getting 25 pounders and said in 3 weeks he could sell me a 40 lb pig for $40. I guess doesn't seem like a bad deal....

7. MsMcChick

MsMcChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Sounds pretty fair in our area. I thought DD needed 40lb pigs for her fair project, but found out this week i'm having to buy 100lb ones instead. So, i'm not getting 3@ $40 each, i'm getting her 2@ $100 each. Ouch, that is a painful mix up! That, and the dang things weigh just 10 pounds less than she does! This oughta be a hoot!

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    They are so cute! I want a pig so bad, Im trying to warm up my parents and grandma to the idea,lol.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Don't get just one. If you get two they try to out eat each other and grow bigger faster. Get at least two. Besides, if you get two you can raise one to eat and one to sell so you can cover the butcher bill.

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

They are so precious! I wanted to get some yesterday but the auction didn't have any [​IMG] I'll have to do some more looking I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by