Here Pig, Pig, Pig, Pig!

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
I bought two pigs yesterday. We are excited to raise our own pork. One is a hampshire/duroc cross and the other is a yorkshire.

DSCI0368.jpg

DSCI0370.jpg

Looks like many of us have moved into the pork business. LOL

How much do they weigh in at now?

Take care with the pink one during the heat of summer. It will sun burn easily. Sounds strange but true.

Nice pigs Buster, can you smell the bacon?? We had a pig story of our own. You should read it!! The three little pigs showed up. We have got pigs gone wild here in Idaho!!
lau.gif

is there a backyardswine.com site in the making? I missed out at the Animal Swap in Kankakee on sunday, real little pigs there sold for $10. I was too late(but still well before sunrise).

I just got off the phone with a local pig farmer I know and his opinion was I wouldn't want a pig until they were about 40lbs. Said I would need to feed them a progression of 6 different formulas. He said it would be alot of work(maybe he thinks I can't handle it??) Anyway, they just got in or are getting 25 pounders and said in 3 weeks he could sell me a 40 lb pig for $40. I guess doesn't seem like a bad deal....

Sounds pretty fair in our area. I thought DD needed 40lb pigs for her fair project, but found out this week i'm having to buy 100lb ones instead. So, i'm not getting 3@ $40 each, i'm getting her 2@ $100 each. Ouch, that is a painful mix up! That, and the dang things weigh just 10 pounds less than she does! This oughta be a hoot!

Quote:
Don't get just one. If you get two they try to out eat each other and grow bigger faster. Get at least two. Besides, if you get two you can raise one to eat and one to sell so you can cover the butcher bill.

Back
Top Bottom