Here they are! My first flock!

This might be a dumb question but....

What temperature does it need to be outside for me to turn the light off?

My brooder is pretty warm right now. 100 on the hot side and 85 on the cool side. It’s supposed to be hot for the next few days. High of low 90s tomorrow and almost 100 on Tuesday. Can I just leave the light off while I’m at work and back on at night? It will still be a little chilly when I leave in the morning but the room they are in is warm from the light.

They need 95 degrees for the first week, 90 the second week, 85 the 3rd and so on. You are dropping the heat down by 5 degrees per week until you get to ambient outside temp. Are you raising them outside or in the house?
Depending on your location you may not have to use the light more than a couple weeks. It may even be overly warm outside to them. It gets really hot here a lot earlier than in most parts of the country. As long as they have plenty of room to spread out and cool off, a little higher temp won’t hurt them but they may take longer to “feather out”.
If they look like they are too hot in a couple weeks (panting, etc.), you can even add a bottle of frozen water in the brooder to cool them off.
Hope this made sense.

Back
Top Bottom