Here we go... after waiting for 10 years. Plus a CONTEST (is that ok??)

Pics

Orpingtons Mom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Fredericksb'g/Culpeper VA
I am constructing the bathtub brooder. 1 week old chicks will arrive on Sunday.

First step: thoroughly scrubbing the bathtub and disinfecting. Lord knows, I wouldn't want them catching my cooties. As it is a straight run I have lined up two potential rooster homes. Actually, three. That would leave me just two roosters to get rid of... worst case scenario. Or maybe just one.

ANYWAY! Great news, I didn't have to invest in the $46 Sunbeam heat pad (robbers at CVS); Walmart came through with a small Sunbeam-no-automatic-off that is just the right size for my bread-cooling-tray-with-legs. It is heating up to just over 100 degrees so I'm comfortable nobody is going to freeze (or roast) to death. I have a water bucket with little nipples. That's great, works perfectly and hangs with about two- to four-inches above the brooder floor.

Feed is in a cat dish...perfect size for all five to eat. I found the perfect poop sifter for my shavings (same ones I use for the horses.) And of course, a toy with feathers etc. that I will suspend from the shower rod. Yes, I will share pictures of their Shangri-La when finished (later today) and you can all tell me what I've done wrong.

And, as I am thinking here... let's have a contest. (can I do that?) The winner will be the first person (you can't enter more than once) that chooses the correct number of hens/roosters out of the five. Winner gets $20 gift certificate at ... whatever place you want (I was thinking Tractor Supply.)

Obviously: 1 hen four roosters; 2 hens 3 roosters; 3 hens 2 roosters, 4 hens 1 rooster; and of course, all hens or all roosters.

I now have to get to work scrubbing the tub...pix to follow.

Yes, I will share pictures of their Shangri-La when finished (later today) and you can all tell me what I've done wrong.

Lol sounds like a perfectly fine set up! I don't really have a TSC close by so I'll pass on the guessing game, but hopefully you'll end up with at least a few layers out of the group.

Good morning all. I did finish last night, but had too many glasses of wine to take stable pictures, so I just fell into bed. I have to get my lazy bones out of bed as I have to go to work this morning at the feed store, so

CASPORTPONY!! Queen of spreadsheets, huh? Well, I just have to ask you one question: how do you like the indirect function?

ROSEMARYTHYME: I can still send you a nice crisp 20.

FEATHERBALLS: awww guess again. Mylied beat you to it.

About 30 hours until my fledging!!

Back
Top Bottom