Here we go again - Neglect

LittleWhiteDove

Songster
Oct 22, 2016
Hedley British Columbia
Hello Everyone,

Here we go again for the second day in a row I am getting sick of people miss treating, and neglecting their birds, then selling them off as though they are fine. I am sorry for my mood but I have very good reason. Here is a recap as to whats has happened:

On day one (Tuseday, February, 28th,2017) Three chickens arrived at my farm. 2 silkie hend, and a silkie rooster. The hens had scaly leg mites and one hen had frost bitten toes. Well the rooster just had swollen feet, but no sign of an injury, sliver, cut, or puncture. So those birds were put into quarenteen pen 1, and are currently being treated. Not signs of improvement as of yet however treat meant was started yesterday.

(New Flock)

On day two (Wensday, March, 1st, 2017) two silkie hens arrived at the farm in late after noon and were placed directly in to quarenteen pen 2. Sadly it was to late for me to get a good look at them, and give them a once over and health check. so they were given the night to calm down

(New Hens)

Now here is an update and what I need help with. I am sorry but photos are gross so if you have a weak stomach or a really soft heart please refrain from looking or reading further.

Today is Thursday, March,2,2017 or if you would rather day three. I went out this morning did chores gave the new hens a chance to eat and relax a little more and get used to the sounds well I brought the new rooster inside for his morning treatment. Once he was treated I went out side to look over the hens. I observed them first and saw nothing wrong other then a few feathers missing from their backs from breeding. Its nothing I hadn't seen before. So I continued and entered the pen. To discover these birds have never been handled and where terrified more then I have seen any birds before and I have seen alot. So I gave them a few minuets then picked up hen A.

Hen A had good conformation for the most part, non- feathered legs how ever her ear were a very bright vibrant blue which in my opinion is getting harder to find. Yes she was missing some feathers on her back from breeding but I am not concerned you can barely tell and they will come back. I moved some feathers no sign of mites any where and her eyes were nice and bright and no injuries. So I put her down and continued to hen B

(Hen A)

I picked up Hen B and the moment my hands touched her I could feel something was wrong, and she was screeching like crazy. I did a quick once over with out lifting her wings. she seemed to be in as good of shape as Hen A, but she had Feathered feet. She had a hell of a lot more feathers missing from her back.

(Hen B)

I started with her right side. I streatched out her wing and new right away the wing was fine, but there was a massive scar on her side that seemed pretty fresh as there was still some tiny spots of scabbing on it. I noticed a small fold of skin on it and lifted it up, 3 yellow mites crawled out of it and it appeared to be infected. The worst part is that wasn't even the side I felt anything on.

(Right side)

So I moved her left wing. What I found shocked me an appalled me so much I almost dropped her. There was a massive wound, dried skin hanging off the wound, tons of scabbing and some scaring around it.

(Left Side)

(Left Side)

(Left Side)

(Left Side)

How someone could have a white chicken and not seen that is beyond my comperhension because it would have bleed like crazy and even when I picked her up I new something was wrong. I put her down made of list of things I need and rushed into town. This little hen will be starting her treatment in the next hour.

In my opinion this is more then lack of knowledge. This is pure neglect. I am hoping i can help her. The chunk of skin sadly can't be saved so I will have to remove it. I will keep you updated on her progress. In the mean time what would all of you do if you got this chicken and found out she had this massive wound.

UPDATE: To make things easier you can follow along, and see updates here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-beautiful-new-hope

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom