Here we go again. rabbit bloat/update purina rabbit chow changed formu

chinbunny

In a hutch
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
Here we go again. Got two sick rabbits with the bloat. One got it this morning. The other last night. Both litter mates. Consulting the MSU vet to see if I am covered payment wise from the last neocropsy I had done. I am pretty sure this feed related since the bag of rabbit chow they finished off last night had alot of corn in it. Gave the one terramycin, and pancur. It doesn't seem to be working this time.

Here I thought this was over with! Grrrrrrrr.

I lost thirty rabbits to this stuff two months ago! And the ARBA vet is not much help. He's saying its just the weather. I am sorry but the weather doesn't whipe out entire herds like this enteritis outbreak has been doing to everyone.

Last edited:
Wow, I've never heard of this. We only have two pet buns and they are healthy as the day is long. Never had any issues. What causes a bun to bloat? I hope you get to the bottom of this. Sorry it's happening. Could it be bad feed that's causing it?

Quote:
Anthing from viruses to bad feed can cause it. Feed is my #1 suspect here since the bag was loaded with corn.

Wow..i cant believe this. How sad that you are loosing so many of them...
so you think its their feed? What are you feeding?

I just talked to my SIL..she a big bunny person.(into all the clubs etc..) she says that yeah, the corn is baaad for them... and that could be the problem. She said to try gas drops and putting them on a heating pad and rubbing their bellies... She said they die from the pain because stasis is very painful....
sad.png

I'm going to go check my bun feed now..

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep she is right. Lots of people are seeing this. I just hate that ARBA wrote it off as the weather. Basially the vet said oh well guys, tough luck., its just a coincidence. Sorry but weather isn't whiping out the rabbit herds here in the midwest. Its a virus or feed.

one bunny is pooping, and eating a litte hay.

I have given the other terramycin, albon, a laxative, ginger, pen g, baytril, apple cider vinegar, anti-gas drops, and tummy rubs. Nothing is working. The ginger was th last thing I tried, so we will give it a few hours to see if it works. Its supposed to get their gut moving. I don't want to fork out another vet bill just so I can go get them some reglan.

I did order acid pak, and aqualyte from bunnyrabbit.com. Shipping was expensive. I have no way to get to a show now, so the only way for me to get it is online.

Back
Top Bottom