Here's my DIY Coop!

I'm sorry, but the giant 6" x 6" hole inside the coop, which is pictured, isn't ventilation to you? Look at the picture of the chicks inside the coop. The ventilation hole is clearly pictured. The ventilation hole is covered in hardwire as well, although in that image it was chicken wire, but it has since been changed. In addition, the chickens go inside the coop at night and are locked up so there is zero need to use hardware cloth on the exterior of the coop. Given that most predators prowl at night, I have a dog, and my entire property is fenced in, I'll take my chances on using lighter weight and more affordable chicken wire. For my purposes this was never intended to be a full-time coop. I put my spring time chicks in it, broody hens, injured hens, etc. I have a large 10x15' Amish built coop for the regular flock.
The 6" x 6" hole needs another hole opposite it to be of any use as ventilation.
It's everyone's personal decision on how much risk we are willing to accept.

The 6" x 6" hole needs another hole opposite it to be of any use as ventilation.
It's everyone's personal decision on how much risk we are willing to accept.
Theres a 2" wide triangle above the door for cross breeze. At the time of building, it housed chicks in the months of April and May so I didn't have a need to do anything more. I try to do the best that I can for my chickens. If I ever needed it for more long term use I would add a larger vent, particularly in the summer months.

Thank you! I bought my main coop pre-fab when I was first starting out but I really hate it because I can't stand up in it. I was told it was for up to 25 chickens which, I think they meant 25 pigeons because it's WAY too small for 25 chickens. In terms of the exterior, I want to borrow the ideas for the siding and windows because they do look great like that. I purchased over 1000 feet of rough cut lumber for $200 and will probably use that for the siding of the new coop and may split the lumber into small strips to seal the holes similar to my main coop. It's crazy the ideas you come up as you do more projects and learn more. I couldn't imagine building a coop of your size on the fly!
Ours can hold up to 20 chickens 10 ducks on the floor where they like to stay, in the main part, 10 full grown turkeys in the built on roosting area, and 20 or so chicks with their mom in the brooder we made with reused materials. Thats the most we can fit inside and trill keep sanitary though.

No I haven't. My "homestead" is brand new to us so I have to focus on fencing in our run and our garden. My hope is after gardening/canning season is over I can build a new coop in the fall. In addition to the small purple coop, I do have a prefab coop suitable for about 15 chickens, but I will have 16 chickens come May so I will need a much larger coop soon. Fall seems a long way off!
One idea you can use to give your run some comfortable walking height. If you have an old canopy that is leaking to much, if the metal bars are still up, you can use that frame to make the pen, and cover it with protective materials like hardware cloth. Ours has chicken wire over the top, and hardware cloth on the sides.

Haha I didn't notice that. That wasn't intentional! And you prompted me to refresh my map knowledge, I'm actually somewhat in the middle of the plateaus! :)

Hmm, and here when I saw it in your other thread, I thought you were talking TN. NY didn't even occur to me... :(

I'll pull up a map, too.

Back
Top Bottom