here's my silly duck question

okie16

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Central Oklahoma
We live on 5 acre with a 1/4 acre pond. When our ducklings get old enough can we turn them loose on the pond. We do have dogs that rome around and a Red Tail Hawk that stays around here. Can they fend for themselves?

If so, what age should we put them out there?

Domestic ducks depend on humans for food and protection. If you let them loose on your pond, they will likely be either taken by a predator or starve.

This is a new venture for us too. I was going to try and treat them like our chickens......have food for them, but let them free range. We will see.....
Tink

My ducks range, but they have plenty of cover. Also, the geese seem to ward off hawks.
Most ducks will also dive under water If it's deep enough. They are very small though! I think
I'd let them out when I was out to be on the safe side until you see how they react to things flying overhead.

thanks everyone for your replys. Thats what I thought. How much run space do they need and can I keep them in the same coop and run as my chickens?

You can keep them with chickens if their run is large enough and they have a wading pool. They do make a mess sloshing water around and dabbling in it. Their poop is also dangerously slippery! We have no problem housing the two together here in NM because the ground dries out so fast. I would not recommend housing them with feather-footed breeds.

Can you fence your pond? I think the dogs are far more of a threat than the hawks. They'd be very happy with their own pond and daily feeding.

Quote:
Their run is going to be 12x20 for my 13 chickens and 2 ducks.

fenceing in the pond is something we would like to do in the future, but not in the budget right now.

Back
Top Bottom