Here's one of the freaks!

No clue, but:
The roo is not a silver spangled Hamburg and I would be VERY surprised, if he was a Hamburg cross.
All my Hamburg crosses have come out mostly black with varying degree of birchen-like pattern.

I'm guessing of course but I would say the Poppa is the white roo and that is where the black roo gets the pink legs and black color from but I have to say after looking at the black roo I'm guessing momma is a RIR I could be wrong after all it was just a guess

Good luck figuring it out.

Dadgummit y'all are no help at all!
smile.png
Well at least I know I have chipmunk patterned chicks. LOL. What does that mean? And where the halibut do the black legs come from? What birds might be in the mix? My ladies produce nicely. Except the so-called Phoenix hen. She lays once a week or so. Eeek, I don't want to be the farm of freaks!

I'd be happy with mutts, really. Especially the way these ladies produce eggs! I'd just kind of like to know what the genetics are that create a black-legged chick from white/yellow legged parents.

Quote:
Question: Is the black roo the same one in the group pic but younger? If so it appears that he had yellow legs.
To mildly answer your question: The chick looks to have greenish (or blueish) looking legs not black. This could just be the pic. that I'm not sure of. But yellow legs will trump white,green,blue and colors similar...as for black they should be dominate but could be covered by yellow and thus bleed through the yellow color. For the roos to have any other color leg in their blood they would have to be slim but not impossible. What I'm basically saying is that the different color legs is coming from your hen and not your roos. That does not mean that your roos do not carry a different color leg gene but is more unlikely.
Sorry if this does not help but this thread got kinda confusing.
he.gif

Quote:
Quote:
that is about all it means they are just colored that way as chicks. There are many breeds that have that pattern. Most all turn out to be some coloration of red. Some even close to black.

Quote:
It means........you have chipmunk colored chicks.
hide.gif

And I think it's cool with the variety you have. It will be neat to see how they grow, and the colors of eggs you end up with. So don't be bummed.

So what chicks might have come from my birds would have black legs? The GLWs produced well in the first two hatches - no black (or grey) legs. The so-called Phoenix hen and RIRs just started laying. And the so-called Phoenix roo started mounting hens recently as well. I'd really like some info on the black legs. I've got three new fuzzies with black/slate legs. And I'm pleasantly befuddled.

Arrgh! I'm not bummed. I just have to find a way to justify keeping these little guys. I am also somewhat shocked that out of white and yellow legged chickens I can get black-legged chickens. They are so gonna get to hang out at Boggy Branch Farm.

Quote:
Out of curiosity could you post a pic of the chicks with Black legs?
Quote:
I don't know about the Phoenix breed but the roo and hen have different color legs?!?! Pics that I have seen of White Phoenix they are totally white. So I'm not sure what you got and don't really know where the black legs are coming from.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom