Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

Placed a order a while back and managed to hit a great special that he had going on at the time .......got SweetGrass and some mixed coming in May I believe .......can hardly wait !

I was out feeding with the grandson and he said, "look, grandma, you have a turkey with a green neck" I said "yeah, whattaya know"

Peafowl by jenjscott, on Flickr

I didn't tell him any different because DH still doesn't know, and Nick can't keep a secret.

Wow! What is the color on that center one called? She's beautiful.

Yay!

Well, I ordered 7 bourbon reds from Porter's with another BYC member. The order totals of 18 poults, and we are splitting with with another member too.
I am getting turkeys again!!!
wee.gif

Congrats!

My Beltsville White Tom I got at Crossroads wants to get me bad. I'm afraid I won't be able to have him free range on the place, unless he cools out once out of the pen, but I am not sure I'll ever give him the chance to find out.

I agree 100% Hound, it just floors me that a group promoting heritage turkeys recommends hatchery birds time and time again. It's a good thing there are groups like the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy and the Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities that are working to preserve them. We are proud members of both groups.

Steve

So what is the answer? Hi all. I am new to even the idea of raising turkeys but having a flock of Narragansetts this spring is a goal of mine. I would very much like to start out with good breeding stock but having read through this thread completely and several of the links posted, I understand that there are only so many choices on where to go for stock. My concern is that buying from a hatchery is going to yield a flock that is maybe not of the best quality and that, because there are only so many "bloodlines" of these rare birds, that possibly all hatcheries and therefore most private stock is of the same watered down gene pool.

Can someone shed a little more light on this subject?

Back
Top Bottom