Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

I would like to breed naragansetts--but I'd like to start with good quality breeding stock. When a big hatchery was having problems with the hens slow to hatch (and not having a way to process) I "chickened" out of the Narragansett order.

I thought that because the Narragansetts are a local (I'm just over the RI border) they might sell better than other turkeys.

Are there any other good breeders of these turkeys besides Porters???? I'd rather buy poults than do eggs at this point.

Thanks for listening.

Being from Rhode Island I am in the same "boat" as Arielle; I would like to raise Narragansetts from good stock. Do I need stock from two or more sources to keep from inbreeding? Again, how many unique bloodlines can there be and who has them? Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Quote: There are very few places to get excellent quality. Sometimes we have to start were we can and go from there. Duane Urch and Porter Turkeys are the largest suppliers of quality turkeys. but they get booked up way in advance. the largest producer of heritage type turkey poults is Ideal Poultry Farms. Though not the best, they are the best in hatchery quality.

There were several quality turkeys available at Crossroads. We are also hoping to produce some nice poults this year from our Greg Oakes Narragansett tom and a new hen we acquired from a friend. We may offer a few hatching eggs later on when our incubator is full.

The important thing is to start with as many poults as finacially possible and cull heavy! Watch closely for crooked breastbones. Buy a copy of the Standard of Perfection and follow its guidelines. There was a well known turkey exhibitor at Crossroads had a tom disqualified for a crooked breastbone. It can happen to anyone. Thus why the old timers would say a good breeder eats lots of chicken soup, or in our case, turkey soup!

If we could afford it, we would order 100 poults from Ideal and 20 each from Urch and Porter and cull heavy. But we can't afford that this season. So we are stating where we are at and working hard to raise the best we can with the two lines we have. Though we do have a great start!

Thanks for your reply and the advice Jim. I will be lurking here to get as much information as I can in the near future. I was hoping it would be an easier task to find breeding stock than it is but I guess that is part of the fun, that these birds are pretty rare.

Hatcheries are not the only source of turkeys. There are breeders all over the U.S. seek one out and buy quality birds to begin with and you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and heartbreak.

Hatcheries are not the only source of turkeys. There are breeders all over the U.S. seek one out and buy quality birds to begin with and you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and heartbreak.

Olive hill is right!!!!! I live in NY and I was very lucky to get my bourbon reds from a breeder and they are beautiful!!!!!!! I love them!!!!!
love.gif
I did not know when I got them how importune it is to have them from a breeder at the time but I am glad I got them when I did!!!!!!!!!! and I got different lines from the same breeder because she shows her birds. She is able to get different lines of all the birds she has, so ask around, you never know!!!!!
wee.gif

Thanks for your reply and the advice Jim. I will be lurking here to get as much information as I can in the near future. I was hoping it would be an easier task to find breeding stock than it is but I guess that is part of the fun, that these birds are pretty rare.

You are welcome!

With so many breeders/exhibitors now joining the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers (ETF), it does make it a bit easier to locate a breeder. Attending the shows also helps, though there a fewer showing turkeys than other species of poultry. Membership in the ETF is FREE at http://exhibitionturkeyfanciers.bravehost.com/ One just wants to show caution buying from any source. Do lots of research and know waht you are buying.

We visited a private breeder yesterday to buy a goat. Left without one. Nothing but junk. Stopped at a livestock auction on the way home. The auction had ended, but one of the auctioners had bought some goats. It was a cattle auction and noone wanted goats. We looked over the only Boer does and asked if it was for sale. The jink goats were $100 each. We bought a healthy Boer doe, pregnant, for $70.

Knowing what you are looking for. Knowing the Standard, it most important.

Quote:

Some areas smme to have more turkey breeders than others. If you know of a good Turkey breeder, then please post their contact information at ....Sources for Heritage Turkey Poults:

Exhibition Turkey Hatchery List: Updated 2012 Price Lists
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=437644

And invite them to join the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers.

Congradulations to heritagehabitatfarms aka Mr. and Mrs. Elias Watson. Lovely wedding today! So glad we could be a part of your celebration!

Elias is the President of the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers.

Mr. and Mrs. Elias Watson

It almost did not happen. Ashley wrecked here truck this morning!

430595_10150567475221606_588936605_9605873_1791975813_n.jpg

397081_10150567473736606_588936605_9605869_1232396738_n.jpg

397081_10150567473736606_588936605_9605869_1232396738_n.jpg

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom