Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I daresay intuition has it's fair play in breeding. Sometimes you keep looking at one of your birds and think "I should keep an eye on you, even though you're looking like crap right now, there's something there..."

Or, you feel like you should put some eggs under a hen that you would normally never hatch that late in the year. All because something tells you to do it. Walk outside a week later and your best male has dropped dead.

1 person likes this.
  2. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Goodness, that's morose....Another reason to wait for eggs from proven hens and cocks.....If they are going to fall over dead, who needs their offspring? Just kidding....I've been on a roll.[​IMG]

3. It is. I believe it is done by withholding water for 24 hours and it can harm the reproductive processes.

Maybe the bird might have choked on something. Entirely outside the genetic sequence.

4. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Sure...could be. Is it cold in northern Nevada? It's 12 F here with wind chill of minus 14. Will likely get much worse over the next few days.

Sometimes, having converted cinder block dairy barns for chicken houses, with concrete floors, makes it just about impossible to use the deep bedding method but with plenty of bedding and those tight walls, the wind chill is almost a non factor.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Yes, it gets cold here in Nevada... extremely cold! But today was very very nice out. I was able to get some work done outside in my shirt sleeves. Love weather like this. I can wait for cold weather again... makes my birds suffer too much.

6. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Yep...I got a bit of work on our SOP barn today but things turned bad about 4 PM. From the forecast, I doubt my birds will be going out tomorrow. We already have about 6 inches of snow and the wind is blowing hard...supposed to be worse by morning...

I'm getting too old to work in the cold...lol

7. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    That same monster snow storm/cold front is effecting me here also as we speak... But my birds are very cold hardy to since they were breed in MN with more worse cold/snow on a daily basis.

8. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm not the tallest of all people( 5' 6" ) and the snow at our house was well above my knees in some spots.

9. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Lets make a deal....I'll trade you height and snow for for YOUTH and vigor! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    Mr. Blosl helped me find Buff Brahma last year, who can we help this New Year find the breed of their heart's desire?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by