Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    That must be nice. Since I am renting the land that I have my birds on, I cannot have my own dogs on the property, which would be nice. So far though, have not had an issue of that nature. Marek's is apparently in the soil which several of my birds were not immune to. It's one of the reasons I refuse to vaccinate the birds for Marek's. I want birds that have their own tolerance instead of having to vaccinate and medicate against every little thing. Langshans have zero issues, however the bantam Sussex are highly susceptible to it. If I wind up losing the whole flock, so be it. It's not something I want to deal with and they are only a side project to my Langshans anyway.

I suppose many birds would be much more suited to the 100+ days with high humidity, but the Langshans and bantam Sussex do a good job against it. Any I lose to the heat didn't need to be there anyway. I've found that good air movement is the key in the heat. If you have stale air just sitting in the barn, you're going to lose alot more birds than if you have air moving throughout all the pens.

2. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    In all seriousness, ALL of my birds are in the houses today because we have especially cold weather and worse, from a chicken's perspective...there's about a foot of snow and the winds are fierce.

WE have sold the entire flock of pure Austrlorps (because that's part of my son's 'master plan'...but they are very hardy birds and are going to a town in Pa...Shinglehouse, I guess is the way it's spelled. We are keeping the NN/Turken flock and the hybrids for a few reasons but principally because they are the backbone of our egg production, stand any extremes very well and seem to be naturally resistant to most diseases.

Additionally...we have decided to use the NNs to enter the world of SOP.[​IMG] OK...I'm ready for the Jurassic Park jokes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  3. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Wynette, thank you for sharing the email. Bob was an excellent communicator.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    He sure was - not a day goes by that I don't miss him and feel like the very best "cheerleader" for the fancy is gone. I smile each time I see someone mention him, and attempt to pick up that torch!

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Thanks for much for the S.C.Sharpe Sussex book. So much information. In reading a chapter on the Light Sussex one old plucker gave a demonstration on a cull. It took him THREE minutes to kill, pluck and process it. Wow. Experience does help with 40 some odd years of doing it. It was usually done dry plucking.[​IMG]

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I was just thinking the same thing the other day, I miss his info and knowledge "misspelt" and made-up words and all, he could get the message across and find/search like no other I've seen yet.

Joseph and George write absolutely awesome post always too and Karen also lots do on here I like this thread I hope it goes on for a long time.

Lacy I know who(kwMississippi) Kenny McMillan had those Partridge rocks up to about a month ago. I do know they were supposedly going to the Pasgagoula,MS area from there.

Jeff

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Well, get ahold of peachdawg and ask. Maybe you can trail them down. I am thinking Matt was probably Matt1616. Bob used to talk a lot about him and visiting him.
    Best,
    Karen in snowy western PA

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Karen I got ya'll close in the post above yours LOL

Jeff[​IMG]

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    All my breeding pens are in the shade or roofed. I haven't had any problems with vigor because of that. Personally,
    I think fresh air is more important that direct sunlight. Yes, I know about the vitamin D thing. Still, I think a fresh air
    run which is dry is more important than a yard in direct sunlight which gets wet. Others may disagree.
    Best,
    Karen

10. MagicChicken

MagicChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I've got the opposite issue. My new breeding pens are getting too much sun. The pens are 6' deep and the low winter sun gets all the way to the back of each pen for several hours each day. Each pen does have a little shade at all times, but they could use a better balance. I'm in southwest desert country. While the northeast is getting a blizzard we've had unusually warm temps. Been in the 70's all week.

Fortunately for me it's easier to add shade than to increase sunlight. I'm curious to hear what others have to say about the shade issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by