Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Yellowhouse farm, call ducks, hellbender, or ? I need advice now, please.
    It's subzero here and I realized the birds need more than I gave them tonight. I is much colder than I thought it was going to be tonight. I am making a warm mash for them from canned spinach, stone ground white corn meal ,and old fashioned rolled oats. What consistency should it be? Right now it is 3 cups rolled oats, one cup corn meal and one can of spinach. with one cup of water. This is for 10 birds aged 8 mos. to 22 months.
    Thanks for you help,
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Campines are one of those breeds that has fallen by the wayside and needs some dedicated folks to bring them up. Duane Urch has some pretty good Silvers, also contact Wisher1000 on here, they seem very dedicated to working on the Campine and have some nice stock to start with. Maybe y'all could work on them together.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Karen,
    You should really call/email Emily up about this. I think she would be the one to look for. Emily knows the Sussex inside and out more than (almost) any one in North America. She is busy setting up her hatching room as of late but does like to talk sussex ;) I also think she might be able to give you some insight on what she has experienced in her flock - I am sure she has seen a few low riders ( I mean she is hatching ~750ish/year).

Hope fully this summer I will get to go be her intern. This will also give me time to write a good hypothesis and method for a relatively new method to prolong the storage of hatching eggs above 7 days with out as raid decreasing in hatch-ability. My first primary study conducted two years ago show'd potential - I was unknowingly doing my study at the same time the poultry industry was doing the study. I should be able to increase the number of birds in the next few years so I can accurately test though.

4. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Can anyone help???

~~BGMatt Canieldonrad Regin Zanna bnjrob call ducks denn1948 gjensen tls_ranch

Yellowhouse farm, call ducks, hellbender, or anyone??? I need advice now, please.

It's subzero here and I realized the birds need more than I gave them tonight. I is much colder than I thought it was going to be tonight. I am making a warm mash for them from canned spinach, stone ground white corn meal ,and old fashioned rolled oats. What consistency should it be? Right now it is 3 cups rolled oats, one cup corn meal and one can of spinach. with one cup of water. This is for 10 birds aged 8 mos. to 22 months. Thanks for you help, Karen

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Sorry, I am no help. When it is going to be especially cold here, I give them all a little extra protein and fat during the day. I almost always have venison/pork/fish scraps in the freezer for this purpose or I occasionally give them some dried cat food.

1 person likes this.
  6. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

someone must know what consistency to make this mash. Thanks for trying Zanna.
    Can anyone else help me? I don't know whether to make it crumbly, or mushy? How much water to add??
    Do I cook it ( or just mix it?) and for how long?
    Thanks,
    Karen

7. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Do you have any whole grains? Corn? My thinking would be that their crops working to grind that up all night would help create more warmth than the mash???

8. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA

Haven't done a mash. If I was going to I would cook it, make it thick mashed potato like consistency and give it to them warm. The cooked foods should be slightly more digestible and fire up their body systems faster I would think. Get those calories going ya know? Also what zanna said about fat and protein is a good thing.

9. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    No, I don't have any whole grains, Zanna. I can cook it like mashed potatoes. I usually don't make mash either
    but this weather is brutal and I was waiting for this advice so I didn't make it too pasty and create a croup problem.
    Thank you!
    Karen

10. MagicChicken

MagicChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Tucson, AZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by